[access-uk] Re: Files and folders management

  • From: "Andy Logue" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 22:18:53 +0100

Hi Marie.

Below are the steps in backing-up your Outlook Express folders and sub-folders.I got this information from a podcast on the Blind Cool Tech list, compiled by an English guy called Christian Kwhawell.

Step One.

1 Create a folder on your Desk-top and call it O E Backup.

2 If you don't know how to do this, Do a Windows Key plus D to get to the desk-top.

3 Press the Applications Key and select new folder.

Give this a name like OE Back-up.

Step Two.

1 Launch Windows Explorer with Windows Key plus E.

2 Do an Alt T for Tools.

3 Arrow up to Folder Options and press Enter.

4 Do a Control V to get to the View dialogue box.

5 Arrow down to Hidden Files and Folders and make sure that the Radio Button labelled Show Hidden files and Folders on is ticked.

6 Tab once to Okay and press enter.

Step Three.

1 Hold down the Windows Key and R for Run.

2 Type in Favorites - Check American spelling - Press Enter.

3 Press the Back Delete button once.

4 Press L for Local Settings and press Enter.

5 Arrow Down to Application Data and press Enter.

6 Arrow Down to Identities and press Enter.

You will land on a document with a title like this

{88211156-4518-46D2-9782-BF291C0EAD00} .  Press Enter.

7 Arrow Down to Microsoft and press Enter.

8 Arrow down to Outlook Express and press Enter.

You will land in a directory full of files like In-Box, Sent Items, Deleted Items etc. There are files in here with extensions of DBX. These are compressed database type files which hold all your Outlook Express details.

9 Do a Control A to copy all of the files into your Clip-Board.

Step Four.

1 Do a Windows Key plus D to get to the Desk-Top.

2 Arrow down to the folder you previously created, titled O E Back-Up, and press Enter to open it.

2 Do a Control V to empty the contents of your Clip-Board into the folder.

That's it! All done. You can now save this folder onto a CD, or leave it on your Desk-Top to copy back afterwards, if you loose any of your Outlook Express folders.

Hope you find this as useful as I did.

Best wishes.

Andy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marie Baisez" <marie.baisez@xxxxxxxxxx>