[access-uk] Re: Falling asleep on audiobookproblem

  • From: Doris and Chris <chipmunks@xxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 03:15:11 -0400

While I myself prefer spllitting audio books to cd-legnth parts, you could split an mp3 file into, say, tracks of 5 minutes each.

hth

Doris

At 07:46 AM 9/11/2013 +0100, you wrote:

I have this exact problem with Audible on my android phone. I
 bookmarkk every now and again, but I don't always remember, and this
 is coarse grained.

What's needed is to pause at the end of a page, and continue with a

Can the mp3 file be split into page length tracks, and  then played a
track at a time om your mp3 player? This kind of thing can be easily
done on gstreamer + Linux. Would that work for you? I might give this
a go anyway

 Aedan O'Meara writes:
 > Hi all,
> I would like opinions on how to cope with falling asleep while listening to
 > an mp3 audiobook and losing ones place.
 > In a large mp3 file it takes for ever to rewind to were one last remembers
 > what happened.
 > My thoughts would be, what if we had a "dead mans switch", i.e. a spring
> switch that one had to press to keep the book going but when you fall asleep
 > your had relaxes and the device stops.
 > Problem I see with this is that removing the power from an mp3 player does
 > not necessarily make a bookmark, so we are back to square one!
 > This would have worked with the old cassette players though.
 > The sleep mode setting might help if set to 3 minutes but is not accurate
 > although the "Tinytunes" sleep mode is reset if you press any key when it
 > gives you the "Hello"before shutting down. Any thoughts??
 > Aedan

Les Smithson