[access-uk] Re: FYI, Amal Glasses information — a wearable assistive tech

  • From: Vanja Sudar <vanja@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2021 23:18:58 +0000

Cool thanks for that. I will most likely try some especially if they would not interfere with the glasses!

On 17 January 2021 23:03:53 "Steve Nutt" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I haven’t tried the Aeropex, but they are supposed to be good. The Trekz Air are good, but not loud enough for environments such as the gym.

All the best

Steve

--
Computer Room Services
77 Exeter Close
From: Vanja Sudar
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, January 14, 2021 05:24 PM

That's why I personally believe that envision glasses are better. They don't have to depend on the phone to charge. Also, although you initially have to pair them with the phone you certainly don't have to have the app on to use the glasses. I guess I was lucky that I got them for slightly cheaper price during the pre-order period. Yes, I know there are expensive and I realise they're not for everyone, but OI personally don't regret my purchase. The only thing I wish it would be possible with envision ones is that there was an option to connect to your phone and have the sound of the phone piped through the glasses. That way it would be possible to use navigation and glasses at the same time. I can't really see what option is there to do that right now as obviously if wearing earbuds or headphones, not only that it'd be impossible to hear outside environment, but also the glasses. Yes, there are bone conducting headphones, but I can imagine that it w ould be difficult to ware those and glasses at the same time.

From: Amro Bilal
To: access-uk@ freelists.org
Date: Thursday, January 14, 2021 03:06 PM

Now then. I spoke to the Amal Glasses people and heres what Ive got.

Will start with the price! Its 1100 US Dollars delivered using DHL.
They mention on the invoice that these glasses are for the blind, so I
guess we dont have to pay taxes on them when they arrive. The glasses
recognise English and Arabic languages. The menus along with all other
functions can be set to English so an English-speaking person can fully
use it, and in this case they only hear the Arabic if they choose to OCR
Arabic text. The glasses recognise most currencies. You have to choose
three currencies in settings to be active, and you can change those in
settings at any time. The glasses come with 12 months manufacture
warranty, and they can provide remote support for software and user help < BR />issues. The glasses have 13 functions some of which are OCR, Scenery
recognition, reading text on screens and signs& please see their website
for complete list of functions. Im awaiting confirmation for both the
resolution of the camera, and what voices exactly the glasses use,
though I believe they are Vocaliser voices from what I heard on the vid eo.

Development of the glasses took 3-4 years, and this is the first edition
which they released last December. They use proprietary hardware
manufactured in the UAE. They dont have instructions or leaflets in
English as yet as they have just started selling the product, the
representative said. They only have present in Dubai (UAE) and Riyadh
(Saudi) for the time being, so trying the glasses first-hand will be an
issue for UK customers at this time, unless they happen to be traveling
to one of these cities or have someone there who can try them on their
behalf.

The glasses unfortunately work with Android phones only, but this may
change in the future to include iPhones. The phone is the brain of the
glasses, and they are powered by its battery. The glasses connect to the
phone by a thin cable, where the glasses essentially function as a
console. For example, to OCR a text, you would first select the OCR
function from the menu using the buttons found on the right arm of the
frame, and then you would press the button to take a picture to initiate
the OCR process, which takes say 5 seconds to get the results, the man
said. Few of the functions require internet connection I understand. All
the buttons are located on the right arm of the frame. For the glasses
to function, the application on the phone has to be in focus (maximised).

I know that our Steve said yesterday that the glasses appear to be
bulky, but I asked my wife to have a look, and sh e said that they didnt
look that bulky, and they looked alright and quite similar to Google
glasses. Anyway, this is subjective so best to check the videos.

This is what I gathered from speaking to one of the sales team for now,
so if anyone is thinking of getting one of these they are best to
confirm these details with the manufacturers.

HTH,

Amro

** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe]
** If this link doesn't work then send a message to:
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
** and in the Subject line type
** unsubscribe
** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the
** immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]
** or send a message, to
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq ** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:- ** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe] ** If this link doesn't work then send a message to: ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ** and in the Subject line type ** unsubscribe ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the ** immediately-following link:- ** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq] ** or send a message, to ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq ** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:- ** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe] ** If this link doesn't work then send a message to: ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ** and in the Subject line type ** unsubscribe ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the ** immediately-following link:- ** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq] ** or send a message, to ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq