[access-uk] Re: FW: [bcab] Articles for the Blind

  • From: "Carol Pearson" <carol.pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 22:02:54 +0100

Too right!

You're telling me something here . . ..

--
Carol
carol.pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxx

-----Original Message-----
From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of George Bell
Sent: Friday, August 19, 2005 6:06 PM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: FW: [bcab] Articles for the Blind

Hi Carol,

Similar discussion elsewhere about, a "guide dog harness", which to all
intents and purposes is covered by, "guide dog equipment".

If you want to narrow the scope down, by all means, but as
it stands now, it covers a wide range of special equipment,
and allows for new equipment not yet on the market which I'm sure you
would not wish to be excluded.

George.

Pearson
> Sent: 19 August 2005 17:52
> To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [access-uk] Re: FW: [bcab] Articles for the Blind
>
> Yes, I read it, but considered that they ought to have
> specified them in their list below.
>
> Perhaps not!  <Shaking head>
>

> --
> Carol
> carol.pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxx

for
> blind and partially sighted people may be sent using the
service."

> I'm sure the manufacturers of the products you mention
would
> agree with that description.
>
> George.

you

> > know, in this instance I'm still baffled.
> >
> > There's no real mention of adapted computer equipment,
IE,

> > PacMate, note takers, other PDA's etc.  Any ideas?
> >

> > --
> > Carol
> > carol.pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Bell
> > Sent: Friday, August 19, 2005 4:30 PM
> > To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > Subject: [access-uk] FW: [bcab] Articles for the Blind
> >

> > Minutes after Carol raised the issue of postage, I
> received
> > the following on the BCAB list.
> >
> > George.
> >
> > Sent: 19 August 2005 13:31
> > To: BCAB List
> > Subject: [bcab] Articles for the Blind
> >
> > Folks
> >
> > There has been an update to the definition of Articles
for

> > the Blind.  RNIB has just sent a document to its staff
> clarifying the
> > new system and I copy the document below.
> If
> > you wish to point others to this information, it will be

> available on
> > the RNIB website.
> >
> > Steve
> >
> > Articles for the Blind (AFB) 2005
> >
> > What Is The Articles for the Blind Scheme?
> > Royal Mail have, for a number of years, operated a
scheme (Articles
> > for the
> > Blind) that allows blind and partially sighted people to
> send
> > certain items of post free of charge.  The latest
> legislation
> > covering the provision of this service is the Postal
> Services
> > Act 2000.
> > Royal Mail have extended the scope of the scheme to
> include
> > carriage of large print materials from 22nd August 2005.
> >
> > Who Can Use the Articles for the Blind Scheme?
> > Blind and partially sighted people, individual customers
> who
> > are blind or partially sighted and have close-up vision
> with
> > spectacles of N12 or less.
> >
> > Organisations working with blind and partially sighted
> people
> > mailing items specifically prepared for use by
> blind/visually
> > impaired individuals. This will include national and
local

> > societies for blind and partially sighted people and
organisations
> > producing Talking Newspapers/Tape Magazines
> etc.
> >
> > What Can Be Sent By Articles for the Blind?
> > Only items that have been specially produced or adapted
> for
> > blind and partially sighted people may be sent using the

> service.  The
> > scope of the AFB scheme has been extended to
>
> > include large print (minimum 16 point). Details below of
> all
> > items covered by scheme:
> >
> > Books, papers and letters - either embossed or in large
> print
> > (minimum font size 16pt).
> >
> > Computer disks and CDs which have been prepared for
blind
> or
> > partially sighted people
> >
> > Relief maps
> >
> > Spoken audio, video (with added commentary - audio
> > description) and electronic media.
> >
> > Talking Books and talking newspapers which are
recordings
> of
> > readings from printed books, journals, newspapers,
periodicals or
> > similar publications, but not entertainment
>
> > programmes which are available on radio or recordings.
> >
> > Equipment used to play or record audio, video and
> electronic
> > media i.e.
> > Talking Books and Talking Newspapers.
> >
> > Electronic and optical magnifiers
> >
> > Games, mathematical devices watches, clocks and
measuring
> equipment
> >
> > Embossed or blank plates and devices for producing
tactile

> > information.
> >
> > Stationery for tactile information for mail
> >
> > Mobility aids including sticks and guide dog equipment
> >

> > Items Not Accepted for Posting Under Articles for the
> Blind
> >
> > Music audio (more than 2 minutes or more than 10% of the
total
> > duration)
> >
> > Printed material in a font smaller than 16 point, unless
> it
> > is a faithful copy of information that has been
> transcribed
> > into braille, tape, CD, disk or large print, and where
it
> accompanies
> > the transcribed version.
> >

> > Weight & Size of Items Sent by AFB
> > The maximum weight limit of any package is 7kg.  The
size
> limits are:
> >
> > Rectangular packages maximum dimensions - 610mm x 460mm
> 460mm.
> >
> > Cylindrical packages - the length must not exceed 900mm
> and
> > the length added to twice the diameter of the packet
must
> not
> > be more than 1040mm in total.
> >

> > How Does the Scheme Work?  What Do You Have To Do To Use
> The Scheme?
> > Items sent by AFB will be treated as first class mail.
> >
> > All mail posted using AFB must have 'Articles for the
> Blind'
> > on the front cover, either on a label or in writing.  It
> must
> > also show an external return address.
> >
> > All mail sent by AFB is subject to inspection, so it
must
> be
> > left open, be easy to open and re-seal or the contents
> must
> > be visible through the wrapper (enough that the contents
> can
> > easily be confirmed as complying with the
specification).
> The
> > only exception is heavy or fragile items, which can be
> sealed
> > provided prior notification is given via Customer
> Services.
> > To arrange for sealed items to be accepted for carriage
> contact 0845
> > 607 6140.
> >
> > It is recommended that personal, sensitive or
confidential

> > correspondence i.e. health or financial information, in
> any
> > format should not be sent using AFB as there is a risk
> that
> > it could fall out of an unsealed envelope and be
disclosed
> at
> > any point in it's journey.
> > This type of correspondence should be sealed and sent as
normal,
> > paid-for mail.
> >
> > How To Arrange For Collection Of Items Of Post Being
Sent
> By
> > Articles for the Blind. Blind and partially sighted
> customers
> > can arrange a free collection from their home by calling
Customer
> > Services on 08457 740 740.  For a same day collection
> customers must
> > call before 12.00pm.
> > This is subject to local availability.
> >
> > Organisations requiring a collection of AFB must comply
> with
> > the Business Collections Specifications.
> >

> > What Happens If You Are Out When Your Postman Tries To
> Deliver An Item
> > Of Post Sent By Articles for the Blind?
> > In the event that an item of post is undeliverable your
> Postman will
> > leave a
> > P739 'While You Were Out' card.
> >
> > Surcharges
> > Royal Mail will levy surcharges if :
> > * the scheme is used by someone not allowed to use AFB *
> an
> > item not covered by the scheme is sent via AFB Royal
Mail will
> > endeavour to avoid levying a surcharge against the
> recipient, however,
> > in some cases this will be
> unavoidable,
> > particularly where return addresses are not provided on
> the
> > label.  If return addresses are provided, then Royal
Mail
> will return
> > items to sender (without surcharge but
> requesting
> > that full postage be paid before re-posting).
> >
> > Queries
> > If you have any queries about how the Articles for the
> Blind
> > scheme operates please contact your local sorting office
> or
> > the Royal Mail Customers Service Dept on 0845 774 0740,
Businesses
> > should contact 0845
> > 795 0950.
> >

> >   - - -
> > To unsubscribe from this list send a message with
subject
> or
> > body 'unsubscribe' to bcab-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> >
> > The BCAB website is at http://www.bcab.org.uk/
> >
> > ** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following
> link:-
> > **

> > ** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > ** and in the Subject line type
> > ** unsubscribe
> > ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click
on
> the
> > ** immediately-following link:-
> > ** or send a message, to