[access-uk] FW: [VICUG-L] FW: [acb-l] free screen reader for Nokia phone

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "BCAB Discussion List" <bcab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 13:39:52 -0000

Well here's some possibly good news for a change.

George.

________________________________

Nokia has announced a screen reader this week at Nokia World 2011, in
addition to a number of accessibility apps. These new products matter
because they will make it easier for people with disabilities to use
Nokia devices.

The software supplier for the Nokia Screen Reader is Code Factory
<http://www.codefactory.es/en/> , based in Spain. The CEO Eduard
Sánchez describes the situation:

For a blind person, the only way to use a mobile phone without
accessibility software is to know it by heart. That is, you need to
know that if you press the Menu key and scroll down four times, you
will be at the Message folder. And, when you get there, it is
necessary to press the right softkey to open Options. It's difficult
to learn the different functions and memorize them. This makes the
phone largely inaccessible. The Nokia Screen Reader provides a great
alternative.

The Nokia Screen Reader is an application that converts screen content
into speech. It's helpful not only for users with sight limitations,
but anyone who is not able to dedicate their attention to the screen.
For example, it allows you to listen to text messages when you
exercise.

Besides calling and texting, the screen reader is helpful for browsing
the internet, accessing call lists and contacts, and managing the
calendar. It works on touch screen devices and those with a physical
key pad. The reader features a simple command structure which is easy
to remember, as well as a configurable control panel. It's available
at launch in eight different languages: English, Spanish, French,
German, Portuguese, Finnish, Swedish and Italian.

The Nokia Screen Reader can be downloaded from the Nokia Store free of
charge. It will be available before the end of the year for the C5 5
MP, Nokia 700 and Nokia 701 with Symbian Belle. We're also exploring
opportunities to bring screen reader technology to feature phones to
reach as many customers as possible.

The launch of the Nokia Screen Reader coincides with another important
development: the new Accessibility Channel
<http://store.ovi.com/channel/1939>  in the Nokia Store. This channel
aggregates apps that can assist people with vision, hearing and
speech, as well as cognition and dexterity problems.

So what kind of apps are available? Well, there is Vlingo, a voice
recognition app that carries out commands on the device. Or T9 Nav,
which finds information on your device when you type what you're
looking for. Or, if you left your glasses at home, try Font Magnifier
<http://www.magnifiers.org/Featured%20New%20Nokia%20603%20launchedExcl
usive%20Symbian%20Belle%20documentaryNew%20discussions%20Nokia%20N8%20
official!%20Price,%20specs%20and%20pics!Nokia%20don't%20do%20lotteries
%20-%20beware%20the%20scam!Symbian%20Anna%20available%20starting%20Jul
yMicrosoft%20Apps%20are%20coming%20to%20SymbianNokia%20E5%20revealed%2
0(photo%20gallery)Suggest%20your%20best%20baby%20names!%20Design%20by%
20Community%20concept%20deviceA%20new%20post%20was%20published.6Langua
ge%20&#20013;&#25991; Español &#1601;&#1575;&#1585;&#1587;&#1740;
&#1056;&#1091;&#1089;&#1089;&#1082;&#1080;&#1081; Suomi Latest stories
Nokia rolls out new screen readerNokia Asha 300, 303, 201 and 200 -
video round-up!Nokia N9 NFC video - simple tap-to-pair de> , which
allows you to zoom the text by 140%. There are now some 50 apps
available for download from the Nokia Store for selected Nokia
devices.

If you need assistance downloading the Nokia Screen Reader, please
call Nokia Customer Care in your country, or send them a message on
Twitter @NokiaHelps.

Sourec: Nokia
<http://conversations.nokia.com/2011/10/27/nokia-rolls-out-new-screen-
reader/>

Carl Jarvis

*************
Too long have the workers of the world waited for some Moses to lead
them out of bondage. I would not lead you out if I could; for if you
could be led out, you could be led back again. I would have you make
up your minds there is nothing that you cannot do for yourselves.
--Eugene Victor Debs
1855-1926

"I am opposing a social order in which it is possible for one man who
does absolutely nothing that is useful to amass a fortune of hundreds
of millions of dollars, while millions of men and women who work all
the days of their lives secure barely enough for a wretched
existence."
Eugene Victor Debs

check out my blog
www.curiouscarlscorner.blogspot.com

*************
Too long have the workers of the world waited for some Moses to lead
them out of bondage. I would not lead you out if I could; for if you
could be led out, you could be led back again. I would have you make
up your minds there is nothing that you cannot do for yourselves.
--Eugene Victor Debs
1855-1926

VICUG-L is archived on the World Wide Web at http://listserv.i cors.or
g/archives/vicug-l.html