[access-uk] Re: FW: [RNIBTalkingBooksArena] rniblibrary.com

  • From: <Clive.Lever@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 10:14:32 +0000

Hello Jackie,

I feel what we should now be advocating is a 'monitor and review' approach.
Say, after six months live they would take stock of how much take-up they are
getting, and what sort of feedback they are getting. Then they should report to
the customers what sort of frustrations they have told the developers about,
and give six-monthly updates along the lines of: "You said...we did...tell us
more by contacting..."

They cannot just rely on the help desk teams to feed back their own
experiences. I hope they are also talking about what aspects of the service the
team members get ear-bashings about. It didn't seem clear to me in their
respose whether they were saying: "We ask the helpdesk team because they use
the system a lot", or "We ask the helpdesk team because they hear it from you
guys". I just wouldn't want them to fall into the trap I noticed at banks in
the eighties. Because they had blind staff who had no problems getting money
out of the bank, they thought all was well for blind people. A. Blind staff
will be more expert in their bank systems, and B. Bank staff were getting money
out of the bank during their lunchbreaks, where some of the rest of us didn't
walk past the bank till after its closing time, and may have struggled with
old-style A T Ms which bank staff never needed to use in anger...that last
sometimes being the operative word.

Best,
Clive