[access-uk] Re: FW: Press Release on the New VI friendly Olympus Machines

  • From: "Steve Nutt" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 22:39:42 -0000

Hi Ray,

I also wonder if the guide voice is going to be real TTS, or if it is going
to say something like "folder 1, 2, 3," etc, as the Milestone does.  This
approach of course, is only half accessible.

Having said that, I like the Milestone as a voice recorder, primarily
because it is very good quality for a dictation machine or note taker, but
not only that, you can insert notes wherever you want them.  I just wish the
Milestone had real TTS.  It may be a bit bigger, but it would make a good
recorder if it took file names seriously.

I got one for Christmas, so have had time to play.  The Daisy firmware is a
bit slow on complex books, but it isn't that bad.  There is currently no way
of knowing how long a Daisy book is in the Milestone though, or the current
position time wise.  I imagine this could be addressed with the Mode button
in firmware though.

Finally, back to the Olympus players.  What will probably let it down, is
the software.  The DS Player is positively horrible to use, and I don't
imagine this exciting program that will let you synchronise podcasts will be
more accessible.  But I look forward to hearing about it.  Just one more new
toy for us to play with <Smile>.

All the best
--
Computer Room Services:
the long cane for blind computer users.

All the best

From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Steve Nutt

Hi Ray,

Sounds quite good, but 1GB only in the highest model?  You'd think they'd
have gone for cards.  Hardly a Podcaster's dream, but a good start.

All the best
--
Computer Room Services: