[access-uk] FW: GW Micro Response to Freedom Scientific Lawsuit

  • From: "Steve Nutt" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 20:03:42 +0100

  _____

From: dan@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dan@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday 14 August 2008 20:00
To: gw-dealers@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: GW Micro Response to Freedom Scientific Lawsuit

Fort Wayne, Indiana, August 15, 2008 -- GW Micro, Inc., a Fort Wayne,
Indiana-based company dedicated to providing high quality adaptive
technology solutions for blind and visually impaired individuals, announced
today that it has received notice of a patent infringement lawsuit brought
by Freedom Scientific, Inc., the self-described "world leader in
technology-based solutions for people with visual impairments."  The lawsuit
was filed in the United States District Court, Middle District of Florida,
alleging infringement of U.S. Patent No. 6,993,707 for a "Document
Placemarker."  GW Micro has reviewed the claim and believes it is
overreaching and not consistent with what Freedom Scientific told the Patent
Office when obtaining its patent. GW Micro intends to defend itself
vigorously and expects to prevail in court.

"As many of our users know, our screen reader -- Window-Eyes -- has had the
capability of returning to a specific line within a webpage since version
3.1, which was released over nine years ago, well before Freedom
Scientific's alleged invention," said Dan Weirich, GW Micro's Corporate
President.  Weirich went on to note that, "The implication in a recent
Freedom Scientific press release that GW Micro is 'benefit[ing] from
[Freedom Scientific's] investment at no charge' is simply not accurate nor
in line with GW Micro's tradition of success and fair play."  Finally,
Weirich concluded, "We will aggressively defend both our legal position and
our place in the assistive technology community."

Daniel R. Weirich
GW Micro, Inc.
725 Airport North Office Park
Fort Wayne, IN  46825