[access-uk] Re: FW: [BCAB] Can I Eat It? IPhone app

  • From: "John Gallagher" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 11:26:53 +0100

Well as I said it is hopeless for me as a total. when some one is here who can see it weill help. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Yusuf" <yusufaosman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2011 10:23 AM
Subject: [access-uk] Re: FW: [BCAB] Can I Eat It? IPhone app

The problem with the Can I eat It app, and I assume its the same problem with all other bar code reader apps, is that if your blind and don't know where the bar code is, its almost impossible to locate it. Even when you do know where it is, EG on cans where the barcode is located to the left of the seem near the bottom, you have to get the barcode reader in exactly the right position in relation to the code before it can be correctly read.

I've had no end of difficulties in trying to scan things with the Can I Eat It App and even sent the company an email some weeks ago. I got no reply. I've given up trying to use it as its just too time consuming and frustrating. I wouldn't recommend it to another blind person.

I don't know if its the limitations of the software or the technology itself but until its possible to successfully read a barcode without exactly knowing where it is, its never going to be a method that most blind people will be able to use eficiently.
Yusuf
If you have nothing better to do, why not take a look at my blog
http://yusufaosman.wordpress.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Cussick" <the.big.white.shepherd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: william lomas Ing"willdddddlomasthegmailddcom0Ing
To:  Ingaccess-ukthefreelistsddorgIng
Date: Thursday, 30 Jun 2011 5.20.25

0
0
0 how will we know yet again where the barcode is?
0
0 On 27 Jun 2011, at 12.08, Kevin Cussick wrote:
0
0 0 agreed it really is a fantastic app. what is the IQ thing you described? I just web workers I did have a bit of a problem with a ready microwave meal but I got it after about 6 scans and I didn't have eyes around so it did work. I wish it was available for the window's platform and you could use your web cam what do you all think?
0 0
0 0 On 27/06/2011 11.07, Barry Toner wrote:
0 0was Hi,
0 0was
0 0was If you folks havent' tried it yet look at vizwiz. It's free. You can have web workers, IQ Engines, (an image identifier server), and your Twitter followers help you describe pics you take within the app. I mainly use IQ and Web Workers. The Web Workers were describing to me yesterday the views out of all the windows of my house, the colour of the paint in various rooms, the breed of Guide Dog my partner has, colour of Jo's purse, tins of peas, brand of a bottle of champagne someone sent usas a moving in present. It's really useful and allot of fun. Allot more effective than OH Moby, which I thought was great when i first starting using it but VizWiz beats it hands down because of the social aspect.
0 0was
0 0was
0 0was
0 Ing000 ----comIngOriginal MessageIng----comIng
0 Ing000Ing From: Ingaccess-ukthefreelistsddorg ofmailtoccaccess-ukthefreelistsddorgwithIng On
0 Ing000Ing Behalf Of Jackie Cairns
0 Ing000Ing Sent: Thursday, June 02, 2011 8.49 AM
0 Ing000Ing To: Ingaccess-ukthefreelistsddorgIng
0 Ing000Ing Subject: [access-uk] Re: FW: [BCAB] Can I Eat It? IPhone app
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing I don't know Ron, but I'm going to give it a whirl if it isn't too 0 Ing000Ing expensive. I don't see why it won't work if you have your Touch
0 Ing000Ing connected
0 Ing000Ing to WiFi.
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing Kind Regards,
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing Jackie Cairns
0 Ing000Ing J&More Work-Ability
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000 jandmthework-abilityddcoddukIng
0 Ing000 wwwddwork-abilityddcoddukIng
0 Ing000 ----comIngOriginal MessageIng----comIng
0 Ing000Ing From: Ingaccess-ukthefreelistsddorg ofmailtoccaccess-ukthefreelistsddorgwithIng On
0 Ing000Ing Behalf Of
0 Ing000Ing Ron Sears
0 Ing000Ing Sent: 01 June 2011 10.37
0 Ing000Ing To: Ingaccess-ukthefreelistsddorgIng
0 Ing000Ing Subject: [access-uk] Re: FW: [BCAB] Can I Eat It? IPhone app
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing Thanks Jackie. Will it be okay for the iPod touch? The date of June
0 Ing000Ing 4th is
0 Ing000Ing wrong so I assume they mean next Monday,
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing Cheers
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing Ron
0 Ing000 ----comIng Original Message Ing----comIng
0 Ing000Ing From: "Jackie IngCairns8jackieddcairnsplacethebtinternetddcom0Ing
0 Ing000 Tocc"access-ukthefreelistsddorg0Ing
0 Ing000Ing Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2011 9.41 AM
0 Ing000Ing Subject: [access-uk] FW: [BCAB] Can I Eat It? IPhone app
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing The below appeared on the BCAB list, so apologies to those subscribed
0 Ing000Ing there,
0 Ing000Ing but I felt this would be useful to share with people here as well.
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing Kind Regards,
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing Jackie Cairns
0 Ing000Ing J&More Work-Ability
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000 jandmthework-abilityddcoddukIng
0 Ing000 wwwddwork-abilityddcoddukIng
0 Ing000 ----comIngOriginal MessageIng----comIng
0 Ing000Ing From: Ingbcab-bouncesthelistsddbcabddorgddukIng [mailtoccbcab-
0 Ing000 bouncesthelistsddbcabddorgddukwithIng
0 Ing000Ing On Behalf Of Mailbox, DigitalAccess
0 Ing000Ing Sent: 31 May 2011 16.11
0 Ing000Ing To: BCAB Discussion List
0 Ing000Ing Subject: [BCAB] Can I Eat It? IPhone app
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing RNIB were contacted about this app, which will be out next week. Here
0 Ing000Ing is the
0 Ing000Ing mail we got:
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing In the app store, Monday June 4th. IngwwwddcanieatitddeuIng
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing The Can I Eat It? IPhone app is another step towards safe independent
0 Ing000Ing living for the blind and visually impaired!
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing For millions of consumers with normal vision, and for the blind and the 0 Ing000Ing visually impaired, The Can I Eat It? Barcode app provides information
0 Ing000Ing on
0 Ing000Ing tens of thousands of food and drink products from Aldi, Asda, The 0 Ing000Ing Co-operative Food, Lidl, Marks& Spencer, Morrisons, Sainsbury's, Tesco
0 Ing000 andIng
0 Ing000Ing Waitrose.
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing How do you use it? The blind and the visually impaired need to switch
0 Ing000Ing on
0 Ing000Ing the IPhone's built-in VoiceOver, which is found in Settings. Now the
0 Ing000Ing Can I Eat It? app is set up to become the eyes for the user.
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing You can choose products that you wish, or don't wish, to eat by going
0 Ing000Ing to
0 Ing000Ing Settings and choosing your preferences: for example, gluten free, low
0 Ing000Ing fat,
0 Ing000Ing low sugar or vegan... there is an extensive list.
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing Sorted! Now just move the IPhone camera lens over the product; when it
0 Ing000Ing gets
0 Ing000Ing to the barcode, you will hear a bleep; if you have switched on
0 Ing000Ing VoiceOver, it
0 Ing000Ing will now speak the information a sighted person will be able to read.
0 Ing000Ing Each
0 Ing000Ing product shows its name, tasting note, and dietary and nutritional
0 Ing000Ing information.
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing As most of the products that are found in the Kitchen cupboard, the
0 Ing000Ing fridge
0 Ing000Ing and the freezer are in the Can I Eat It? app's database, the problem of
0 Ing000Ing the
0 Ing000Ing blind or visually impaired person mixing up packets of salt with sugar, 0 Ing000Ing gravy granules with coffee, tins of baked beans with rice pudding or 0 Ing000Ing tomato soup with sliced peaches are at an end for Can I Eat It? app
0 Ing000Ing users!
0 Ing000Ing You can tackle your kitchen cupboard with renewed confidence.
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing The SuperMarketOwnBrandGuide and Martin Isark, food and drink
0 Ing000Ing journalist,
0 Ing000Ing taster and author, have teamed up with 'the Other media' to produce the
0 Ing000Ing 'Can
0 Ing000Ing I Eat It? IPhone app. In the app store Monday June 4th.
0 Ing000 httpcc//wwwddcanieatitddeuIng
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000 --Ing
0 Ing000Ing DISCLAIMER:
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is 0 Ing000Ing confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended
0 Ing000Ing recipient
0 Ing000Ing you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any of the content of
0 Ing000Ing it or
0 Ing000Ing of any attachment; you are requested to notify the sender immediately
0 Ing000Ing of
0 Ing000Ing your receipt of the email and then to delete it and any attachments
0 Ing000Ing from
0 Ing000Ing your system.
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing RNIB endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated by
0 Ing000Ing its
0 Ing000Ing staff are free from viruses or other contaminants. However, it cannot 0 Ing000Ing accept any responsibility for any such which are transmitted.
0 Ing000Ing We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email and
0 Ing000Ing any
0 Ing000Ing attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
0 Ing000Ing those
0 Ing000Ing of RNIB.
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing Website: Inghttpcc//wwwddrnibddorgddukIng
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing This message has been scanned for viruses by Websense Hosted Security - 0 Ing000 httpcc//wwwddwebsenseddcom/contentstHostedEmailSencecurityddaspxIng
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000 --Ing
0 Ing000Ing To find out more about BCAB and the benefits that membership can bring,
0 Ing000Ing please visit our website:
0 Ing000 httpcc//wwwddbcabddorgddukstIng
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing To manage your subscription to the BCAB mailing list, please visit our
0 Ing000Ing website:
0 Ing000 httpcc//wwwddbcabddorgdduk/bcab-discussion-liststIng
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing To discuss matters relating to the mailing list, please email
0 Ing000 moderatorthebcabddorgddukIng.
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing ** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:- 0 Ing000Ing ** Ingofmailtoccaccess-uk-requestthefreelistsddorgensubjectggunsubscribewithIng
0 Ing000Ing ** If this link doesn't work then send a message to:
0 Ing000Ing ** Ingaccess-uk-requestthefreelistsddorgIng
0 Ing000Ing ** and in the Subject line type
0 Ing000Ing ** unsubscribe
0 Ing000Ing ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the
0 Ing000Ing ** immediately-following link:-
0 Ing000Ing ** Ingofmailtoccaccess-uk-requestthefreelistsddorgensubjectggfaqwithIng
0 Ing000Ing ** or send a message, to
0 Ing000Ing ** Ingaccess-uk-requestthefreelistsddorgIng with the Subject:- faq
[...]
0 Ing000 ingingingingingingingingingingIng Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus 0 Ing000Ing signature database 6172 (20110601) IngingingingingingingingingingingIng
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000Ing The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.
0 Ing000Ing
0 Ing000 httpcc//wwwddesetddcomIng
0 Ing000Ing
0 0was
0 0was
0 0was IngingingingingingingingingingingIng Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 6242 (20110627) IngingingingingingingingingingingIng
0 0was
0 0was The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.
0 0was
0 0was Inghttpcc//wwwddesetddcomIng
0 0was
0 0was ** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:-
0 0was ** Ingofmailtoccaccess-uk-requestthefreelistsddorgensubjectggunsubscribewithIng
0 0was ** If this link doesn't work then send a message to:
0 0was ** Ingaccess-uk-requestthefreelistsddorgIng
0 0was ** and in the Subject line type
0 0was ** unsubscribe
0 0was ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the
0 0was ** immediately-following link:-
0 0was ** Ingofmailtoccaccess-uk-requestthefreelistsddorgensubjectggfaqwithIng
0 0was ** or send a message, to
0 0was ** Ingaccess-uk-requestthefreelistsddorgIng with the Subject:- faq
0 0was
0 0
0 0 --
0 0 All The Best
0 0 Kevin Cussick
0 0 ** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:-
0 0 ** Ingofmailtoccaccess-uk-requestthefreelistsddorgensubjectggunsubscribewithIng
0 0 ** If this link doesn't work then send a message to:
0 0 ** Ingaccess-uk-requestthefreelistsddorgIng
0 0 ** and in the Subject line type
0 0 ** unsubscribe
0 0 ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the
0 0 ** immediately-following link:-
0 0 ** Ingofmailtoccaccess-uk-requestthefreelistsddorgensubjectggfaqwithIng
0 0 ** or send a message, to
0 0 ** Ingaccess-uk-requestthefreelistsddorgIng with the Subject:- faq
0 0
0
0 ** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:-
0 ** Ingofmailtoccaccess-uk-requestthefreelistsddorgensubjectggunsubscribewithIng
0 ** If this link doesn't work then send a message to:
0 ** Ingaccess-uk-requestthefreelistsddorgIng
0 ** and in the Subject line type
0 ** unsubscribe
0 ** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the
0 ** immediately-following link:-
0 ** Ingofmailtoccaccess-uk-requestthefreelistsddorgensubjectggfaqwithIng
0 ** or send a message, to
0 ** Ingaccess-uk-requestthefreelistsddorgIng with the Subject:- faq

All The Best
Kevin Cussick