[access-uk] FW: Article from Disabiity Now on Diabetes Equipment

  • From: "Andrew Hodgson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 18:40:31 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris McMillan [removed email address]
Sent: 04 August 2004 15:59
To: Andrew Hodgson
Subject: Article from Disabiity Now on Diabetes Equipment

Disability Now July 2004

Thousands of visually impaired people with diabetes cannot access the=20
equipment that would allow them to monitor their own blood glucose=20
levels, according to a leading charity.

Diabetes UK has written to health minister Rosie Winterton to say the=20
situation is 'unacceptable'.

The only device suitable for use by blind people is 'prohibitively=20
expensive', and the test strips used to test the glucose level of blood=20
samples are not available on prescription.

News of the charity's letter emerged after DN heard from Terry Shepherd=20
from Lincolnshire who is blind and has diabetes.

He was told by a private company that he would have to pay UK P 430 for=20
a device that he could use to test his blood sugar, as well as UK P 23=20
each time he needed 50 strips, as both were unavailable on prescription.

After he contacted West Lincolnshire Primary Care Trust, he claims he=20
was told he would have to pay UK P120 for a voice synthesiser for a=20
different machine and would not have to pay for the strips.

But Mr. Shepherd said 'Why should I have to pay for things that sighted=20
people don't?'  'I think its discriminatory'.

He has been taking insulin for 50 years, but has had to call out an=20
ambulance four times in the last few weeks because of problems with his=20
blood sugar levels.

Paul Miller, director of primary and community care for West=20
Lincolnshire Primary Care Trust said 'This is a request that has never=20
before been made in Lincolnshire'.

Currently we are investigating what is happening in other areas and also

liaising with Diabetes UK on the availability of this machine in the UK.

A Department of Health spokeswoman said 'the letter has been received=20
bringing this issue to our attention and we are looking into it.'

Can you pass this on to your contact, Andrew?

Chris
--=20
Chris McMillan

** vacation ## d