[access-uk] External Hard Drives v Networking

  • From: "Andy Logue" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2007 14:16:07 +0100

fHi all.

Thanks everyone for their comments on various external hard drives and
suppliers.

I've been given this matter a lot of thought and decided that as I wish the
drive only to move files from one computer to another and perhaps a back-up
of these files, I'd be just as well creating a network between both my
computers instead.

I have an XP Home computer and an XP Media Center computer and I have
purchased the correct Inthernet cables.  In fact I have two choices.

One is to connect both computers together directly with one of my Inthernet
cables and the other option, is to plug both into my Belkin Router and
create a network.

I thought that there was no need to purchase an external hard drive while I
had two computers.

Unfortunately, I've attempted several times with no success to link both
computers using either of the above options.  Rick from the BCT List has a
tutorial in creating a Network, but for some reason, I've had no luck
following this.

So if there is anyone who could talk me through the process of either
connecting both computers directly or setting up a Network, I'd be very
grateful for your assistance.

Best wishes.
Andy