[access-uk] Re: External Hard Drives

  • From: "Stephen Green" <stephen.tina@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 20:21:08 +0100

Hi Andy

just a small word of caution in that I bought a couple of Maxtor 250 Gb
external drives and they required a driver from the supplied cd and
definitely did not auto detect when connected to a USB port. Once the driver
was on the system it didn't require it to be loaded again.

Subsequently, I bought a 500 gb Western Digital drive which auto detected
perfectly, so I suggest that you look on the website you purchase from that
your new drive is plug and go. That said, the Maxtor is the only drive I've
ever heard of with this problem.

Secondly, the Maxtors would not store files of more than 2 gigabytes and
would only work with such large files when reformatted from FAT32 to NTFS.

HTH