[access-uk] Re: Ethics of book sharing services/using synth voices

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:49:17 +0100

Hi Justin Damon et al.

I think that maybe human concatonated speech is still something worth watching,
if that's not an inapropriate phrase!  Seems Dolphin are coming out with a
human based soft synth soon which they are working on to hold up under higher
speech rates.  That's often the trouble with them:  they do not hold up well
when you wind the rate up.  Not that I can listen at the speed that many users
do.

For me, for factual stuff speech synthesis is fine.  Somehow I cannot accept it
for fiction.  So as I've tried to say before, some way of upping the production
of human read books has to be found whether that turns out turns out to be a
market led solution, or some state involvement or whatever.
Ray