[access-uk] Re: Ethernet Cable

  • From: "Graham Page" <gpage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 00:32:25 -0000

you can use either a wired link or wireless.  If one of the machines you
intend to use is near the router I would use a wired link as these tend to
be more reliable.  You should also use the wired link when you first get the
router.  You may also need the wired link if the wireless part is off by
default and you may want to set up wireless security using the wired link
too.

Wireless security is important by the way as you don't want others near by
using your bandwidth and I know that people will.  I will use someone else's
bandwidth if I come across an open wi-fi network on my travels whether it is
really meant to be free or not and I know many other people work the same
way so make sure you put some security in place.  Most routers have a choice
between WPA and WEP which are 2 security protacols.  I would gofor WPA if
you can.

Cheers

Graham
Graham Page