[access-uk] Re: End of Freedom?

  • From: "Barry G" <lister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 11:42:05 +0100

I must say too, a number of people are switching to the competition because Freedom seems to be focussing on things like research-it that does what you can do perfectly easily using a search engine on the web whilst appearing to have left simple things like support in Windows 7 for word-processor and email to one side. It seems to me like frills over basic functionality, which looks to me to be taking your eyes off the ball big time...

All the best from a continuing JFW user regardless but in hope,
Barry G
----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter Holdstock" <peterholdstock@xxxxxxx>
From: "Otto Zamora"<donttreadonme@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 05:44:14 -0400

Morning,

In an advocate meeting yesterday, the subject came up reference Freedom
Scientific, the company that among other things sports JFw.
Because the company is in the state of Florida, it came up on a flag by an
analyst.
Seems this company is having bad money troubles, not surprising given the
economy, but talk is that they are now looking to sell off some of their
division, mainly their JFW area.
I am not sure who if anyone will buy this division, considering that there
is an entity now selling a fully integrated package for only $700.
Besides a comprehensive screen reader, if the user chooses to get the
package, there is a browser, along with a customed and fully accessible web
sites, word processing, and E mail.
all of this can apparently be accessed either on line, or as individual
program.
ad to that, the entertainment mogill, and you have a powerful tool indeed
for the kind of money they are asking for.
Another side of the equation is the apple company, now selling computers
already with speech on board right out of the box and off the shelf.
Put these two aspects together, and you have a deadly combo that might very
well result in a abrupt end to the JFW program.
Considering the way that technology is growing, older versions of JFW, will only work for a short while until the programs controlling the OS, begins to
outgrow the application.
In seeing this package, one of the things which was pointed out to me, was the learning curve, which for the new package being sold by Mr.. Mike Calvo,
is very short.
The user has the option to learn as little or as much as they want without
real loss.

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 5174 (20100605) __________

database 5175 (20100605) __________