[access-uk] Re: Email correspondence and PenFriend laundry

  • From: "Steve Nutt" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 11:25:11 +0100

Hi John,

It is also featured in the latest Serotalk podcast, http://www.serotalk.com
<http://www.serotalk.com/> .

All the best

Steve

  _____

From: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
John
Sent: Tuesday 29 September 2009 13:07
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Email correspondence and PenFriend laundry

hello folks

First I have checked with colleagues in RNIB and in principle we do offer
email as one of the choices for letters and statements from us. I get my own
invoices from RNIB by email.

However I am aware as anybody else that what an organisation says should
happen just doesn't always work out absolutely 100 per cent of the time.
Things go wrong, people make mistakes. So the spirit is willing but if any
of you are asking for email items from RNIB and being refused please either
tell the list the specifics or drop me an email off list so we can try to
put things straight. As you might imagine, these days, lots of parts of the
process of issuing routine letters and documents is automated and it is
always possible that somewhere deep inside the black box something is not
working as it should and sometimes the only way you discover this is when a
customer raises the issue. But it is very difficult to diagnose the cause
without being very certain just what the customer asked for that didn't
arrive.

2. Speaking of things not arriving  let me move onto Penfriend laundry
labels. I am sorry to those of you who had to scrape soggy bits of label
from your washing machine drums. If it is any consolation I've got a very
tacky care label on a pair of boxer shorts now!

So our plan B is that we will, as soon as possible, introduce some sew on
labels. We never dismissed the idea of sew on labels but concluded that for
every customer handy with a needle we had 10 who needed a simpler solution.
Once our supplier has got us some samples I will offer listers the chance to
trial them.

We have also now drawn up a more formal spec for the R and D folks to design
us a stick or iron-on label capable of working with both biological and
non-bio washing and withstanding 50 degree temperatures for at least 10
washes. Once again, as soon as I have samples to hand I will invite willing
guinea pigs - and i'll be trying them myself too.

The PenFriend has made its way onto a US site podcast at
www.accessible-devices.com a site i hadn't come across before but folks may
want to take a listen.

John