[access-uk] Re: ECDL QUESTIONS

  • From: "adrian higginbotham" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:57:09 +0100

Hi Richard:
I haven't done ECDL myself so I'm talking from having followed the issue
closely rather than from personal experience but here goes:
There aren't currently any "accessible" ECDL learning materials on the
market e.g ones which you how to perform tasks in an accessible way. some
people are using standard materials and taking ECDL at local colleges by
muddling through themselves. the issue here is that ECDL assessments test
particular skills by setting a given task, you can always find a work around
for that task but you aren't then necessarily using the skill the assessment
was designed to test. RNC teach ECDL but the course is residential only and
isn't funded so has to be taken in conjunction with another funded course.
There are a couple of companies who are currently working on accessible
learning materials but say to expect nothing before next year at the
earliest.
Take care when signed up for ECDL as there are two modes of assessment one
which uses the PC, the other which uses touch screen technology, obviously
no use to VIPs.
but to answer your question directly no it isn't correct that you can only
do ECDL if you use mouse clicks.

Adrian Higginbotham,
Help2Access
University of Salford
Email A.Higginbotham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tel: 01612952555.
Web: www.help2access.org.uk
Technology House, Lissadel Street, Salford M6 6AP.