[access-uk] Re: Dual and Lookout

  • From: chris hallsworth <christopherh40@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 11:50:08 +0100

To me NVDA has now got to the point that I can use it full time and only use JAWS if I have to, for example if an application doesn't work with NVDA or if I need to log onto a machine remotely via Tandem.

Chris Hallsworth
MSN: ch9675@xxxxxxxxxxx
Skype: chrishallsworth7266

On 01/05/2010 11:44, Doris and Chris wrote:
hehehe. well I like to play and try out things.

The cfree offerings can't really mess up anything on the computer as
long as you use theportable version. sa2go is only meant to be used as a
portable solution - though I am sure it does fine when used from home as
well - and both Thunder and nvda offer portable versions that can be
used from a usb stick. the very idea of this is that they do not make
any changes to the system they are run on and this is perfect for trying
them out. I am not too impressed with Thunder but it will not harm your
system. I love nvda for my screenrader on the go and keep it on a usb
stick and even my mp3 player. It's great to use at other people's houses
for quick computer access.

the free offerings make good backups or portable solutions. Actually,
nvda has become more than a backup. it has a lot of potential and has
saved my butt on many occasions when jaws quit on me. It is much more
powerful than Narrator is. g,.

To each their own and if you are not comfotable trying out some of the
free solution that is perfectly fine. I just want to assure you that you
wouldn't harm anything if you tried out a portable version of them.

hth

Doris

At 10:24 AM 5/1/2010 +0100, you wrote:
Hi Doris! I think what you say at the beginning of your message is
very true. I first started with Zoom Text and tend to come back to
Zoom Text every time I run into a difficulty with any other reader or
magnifier. You learned with jaws and so are more competent with that.
I tend not to make a habit of trying out new and cheaper efforts as I
have found in the past that most of these will have something that
they do not do well and you might come up against this unexpectedly at
some stage when there isn't time to sort the resulting difficulties out.
Tony

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doris and Chris" <chipmunks@xxxxxxx>