[access-uk] Download Express problem

  • From: Douglas Harrison <harrison1d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 11:51:58 -0000

Some time ago there were favourable comments on the list regarding
Metaproducts Download express.  As a result I tried it for a short time and
was quite impressed - in  fact I  was considering paying for it.  However
(perhaps unwisely as it now appears) I decided to uninstall it whilst I tried a
few alternatives.   As none of the latter seemed to suit me as well as DE, I
decided to re-install Download Express.

But now it obstinately refuses to download even a single file - the progress
indicator remains at 0%!  Initially I thought that a firewall was blocking it
or
perhaps Spysweeper did not like one of its components, but I have
eliminated these possiblities.

The only explanation I can think of is that the initial installation left
something behind to prevent anyone trying to use the 30 day free trial
repeatedly, but if anyone has any other ideas I would be very plesed to hear
them.

Also I would welcome any suggestions of alternative download managers
which are reasonably screen reader friendly and do not contain spyware, as
many appear to do.

As I am one of those odd people who are still on a dial up connection, the
lack of a download manager is a serious handicap!

Thanks for any help,

Douglas

--

Douglas Harrison