[access-uk] Diskeeper

  • From: Douglas Harrison <harrison1d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 20:26:21 +0100

Just a postscript to the two recent threads on this subject.

Having downloaded the 30 day trial version I installed it this morning on my
Toshiba laptop and chose the option not to have it run automatically -
preferring to try defragmenting a partition first.  From the context menu of
the c: partition  I first ran an analysis which told me that there was heavy
fragmentation and that performance would be seriously affected.  The latter
agreed with my experience, but on the other hand the Windows XP
defragmenter has, for as long as I can remember, reported that the drive
did not need defragmentation.
I next set Diskeeper to do a manual defrag - it took 8 hours - which
surprised me as the c: partition is 5 gb and holds only the OS, Office, IE
etc. plus Documents and settings.  It must have been badly fragmented
indeed!

Many thanks to steve for bringing Diskeeper to our attention.  The current
version seems to be a great improvement on one I tried 2 or 3 years ago.

Douglas
.

--

Douglas Harrison