[access-uk] Re: Discrimination or simple comon sence.

  • From: Brendan Magill <brendan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 20:57:51 +0000

Hi Andy,

Firstly, congratulations on getting the new job; I hope it goes well for you.

Access to Work is more and more frequently requesting that employers undertake health and safety risk assessments, so no surprise there. What is strange is the way your new employer's health and safety officer has responded. If having a vision impaired person working on the second floor is too great a risk, then that impacts on a great many people and jobs that I know of. There is a building in Birmingham where there are two VIPs, one of them totally blind, working on the eighteenth floor.

The most likely reason for the health and safety officer taking this line is that he is simply protecting his own back. Two other possibilities immediately come to mind, though there could be many other reasons. Firstly, the employer may have some unofficial reason for not wanting to employ people who have disabilities; they may be using the risk assessment as a way of discouraging such employment. Secondly, they may be trying to use your disability as a way of getting ATW to fund building of the second fire escape. Maybe I'm being a bit cynical, but I've seen things like this happen.

And surely, if there are risks for you at work, then there are risks whether you are working in the office or are out and about visiting clients, attending meetings or whatever.

   I'd put my money on this guy just being a Jobsworth, but you never know.

      Cheers,

         Brendan.

--
BRENDAN MAGILL