[access-uk] Re: Disabled Student's Allowance at University

  • From: "Barry G" <lister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 00:34:37 -0000

You need to apply direct to SFE, but the disability officer/advisor at your
university should be able to walk you through the process if he/she is worth
more than a mouldy peanut!  It's a pain in terms of filling in forms, and they
have to be resubmitted each year if you have on-going non-medical helpers or
general allowances, but it isn't as bad as it looks at first glance...

And I'm biased being a DSA needs assessor, but the process should be a positive
experience, and they sometimes actually have ideas for kit and/or support that
have not occured to students, as long as they meet an identifiable
disability-related need rather than being on a tick/wish list, we aren't all
bad!

All the best,
Barry G