[access-uk] Re: Digital sound recording

  • From: "Rays Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 20:31:33 +0100

\Lucinda,this has come up more than once here,but here's briefly how
accessability stacksup withdigital rcorders.

The most accessible ? The Plextor PTR2, built for blind people, this Cf card
and CD recorder has full speech feedback.  RnIB sell it for around £500.00.
The Ptr1 users list discusses this recorder - as well as the PTR1 which was the
Ptr2's predessor.

Then thee are the Olypus models, DS30, 40 and 50, which vary in the amount of
internal memory, with the DS50 having around a gig of memory.  These are voiced
tagged meaning that most of the features are accessible.  Downside is they
record only in WMA format, though they will play back MP3's.  Cost is, I think,
£200.00 or less for the DS50.

The Edirol R09 is being used successfully by many, but it isn't "accessible" in
the sense I've mentioned with the two previous recrders. A so called "high
definition" version is out now, recording at higher bit rates and it sells for
around £280.00.

Some have had success with the Zoom recorders, but I think they'd be rather hit
and miss in practice.

You should really go to the blindcooltech page at:

http://www.blindcooltech.com

and search in particular for the Niel Ewer's reviews of many machines and look
around there generally for audio recorder reviews.  Niel's latest review is of
a Sony flash recorder which he seems to like quite a lot.

HTH,
Ray.