[access-uk] Digital radio survey

  • From: "Peter Beasley" <p.beasley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:28:50 -0000

Are you interested in taking part in an important piece of RNIB research on how
easily blind and partially sighted people can use digital radio equipment?

i2 media research, a research group based in the Department of Psychology at
Goldsmiths, University of London is looking for registered blind and registered
partially sighted people to take part in the digital radio research project
they will be conducting for RNIB, starting early in 2008.

Jonathan Freeman, leading the research for i2, says: "We are looking for 30
people to take part in our research project, including older people.  We will
be recruiting people who have had sight impairments from birth, and others who
have developed sight impairments later in their lives."  "We want to recruit to
take part in our research people with visual impairment who already have
digital radio equipment at home (sometimes called DAB).  People who are
selected to take part in the research will be invited to participate in a one
hour in-home interview."

"If you are selected to take part in an interview you will be asked about how
you found the process of getting digital radio equipment, how easy you found
learning to use the equipment, and whether having digital radio equipment has
changed how you use your radio." The research project will be conducted by Dr
Jonathan Freeman and Dr Jane Lessiter at i2 media research. If you are
interested in taking part in this project you can either phone or email the
researchers directly.  If you prefer to get in contact by phone, please call
Jonathan or Jane to let them know you would be interested in taking part.  You
can reach Jonathan on 020 7919 7884 or Jane on 020 7717 2201

Alternatively, please email Jonathan Freeman J.Freeman@xxxxxxxxxx, with the
subject heading: "RNIB digital radio research".

In your email, please include the following information:

o       Your name, sex and age;

o       Which region or area of the UK you live in;

o       Whether you are registered blind or registered partially sighted;

o       Whether you have had sight impairment from birth, or have developed
sight problems;

o       Whether or not you already have digital radio equipment at home;

o       How many hours a day you listen to the radio;

This research is starting straight away so please get in contact as soon as
possible if you would like to take part.  We are conducting the research
interviews from Wednesday 13th February to Tuesday 18th March 2008, so the
latest you can register your interest in taking part is Friday 14th March 2008.