[access-uk] Re: Desperate situation?

  • From: Mobeen Iqbal <mobeeniqbal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 12:07:29 +0000

hi vanja.

i've just replied to you off list, please let me know your thoughts.

Mo.

On 26/02/2014 12:00, Vanja Sudar wrote:
Hello,
I sort of went through hell and back with this computer last night and I am really not sure what to do right now. Naturally I would like to avoid reformating if possible, but sadly can't see what other option do I have, but if anyone on here can save my ass from reformating I would apprecate it, hell I'll buy you a dinner lol.
Bare with me guys, this is a long one.
It all started a few days ago, Sunday morning I believe. Windows live mail notified me that there is an update to windows essentials. I tried to install it, the download hangs at about 85/90 something % for quite a while and then it continues, when it gets to 100 % I am informed that the installation couldn't be complete. I get error 0x80040705. I actually got a couple of other errors, but I'm really far too tired to digg them out right now and personally doubt that it'll make much difference. Anyway, I thought no biggy, the software still functions fine and though annoying, not having this update is not of a huge importance. Till last night that is, when I noticed that when ever I press the alt key to go in to the menu I can't do so. I have no idea what happens visually, but jaws just reports 'blank'. So in my mind next logical step was to uninstall WLM and hope that after that the update will work. But it didn't. Throughout the evening I tried various solutions that I researched online that ppopped up when inputing above and other error numbers in to google. Most of them were very generic, you know, are you sure you don't have virus, have you uninstalled the old version bla bla bla, but I've tried some things which included but are not limited to: creating another admin account singing on to that and trying to load the update, doing system restore to before the problems started, removing all files and folders from the HD that are winbdows live related, removing all win live stuff from the registry. Nothing worked. By then it was about 2 in the morning, but me being a geek, being always up for a chalange and really needing a decent mail solution decided that perhaps I just had to accept defeat and try to find another client. Now I don't know if this was because I was annoied and tired by then, but anything that I tried it just didn't really fit my needs, it was mainly inaccessible and just didn't really seem to have enough feature (yes I know WLM is not exactly something to scream about but at least it works!) Seems like in both blind and mainstream comunity thunderbird is most popular non Microsoft client so I guess I did dedicate most time to that particular client, but honestly I didn't get with it at all! There is so much crap in the background, all sorts of HTML bullshit about the client that I don't care about! Even when I set mail to display the way I wanted to, it does not want to display it in order. In fact I don't even quite understand why it had the mind of it's own and it displaied it in some weird order. For example in stead of newest being at the top, the latest message may be the first, but below that could be the message from Friday, then below that a message from 5 minutes ago, then below that message from Sunday. Yes of course I made sure that all sorts of stuff like alphabetical order and other ways of displaying/sorting messeging were turned off, but it made no difference! After that, somewhat inspired by the conversations on here, I decided to implement that hack where one can install windows mail on to a win 7 system. Though that worked (I am writing to you using it) I am not fully satisfied with it. It seems rather slow and unresponsive. For whatever reason it won't synk with my addressbook. It doesn't support http protocol so I can check all of my accounts. It, for whatever reason, will not connect to gMails imap server even though I'm pretty sure all the settings were correct. So though it's OK as a temp client it is not as good as WLM was. So, perhaps stupidlly, because of that, I decided to give office 365 a go. Again somewhat inspired by what was talked about on here. After all, I knew I could get a month trial and so if I really don't like it or don't think it's worth it, I could always cancel and it seems like even after the month, it is not a contract so I can cancel anytime. That would also give me a chance to test outlook and based on the times I used it in ofices I worked at that most certainly should be a reasonable mail client. Though of course I have not yet tried the 2013 version. However, office just plainly seems to refuse to install. I'm sorry, I have to backtrack here a bit. When I bought this PC, it came with office 2010 starter. I have been using that for a couple of years since I had this thing. I know it's not perfect, but it was good enough. I guess that also inspired me a bit to upgrade and try office 365. So, as I said, it seems to refuse to install. Granted I have no idea what happens visually, but when ever I run the setup file whether it be by clickin run from the IE or by launching it locally, it says something like: "office 2013" and a few seconds later it just disapeers. Nothing seems to be running in system tray either, but interestingly if I try to delete the setup file windows reports that the file is in use, but I can't find any evidence of it running or doing anything. Then, another stupid mistake. In my desperation I've decided to get rid of office 2010 starter since I thought that that is what may be interfearing with the 365/2013 set up. Well, what a mistake that was. After uninstalling it, nothing changed. Office still did not want to be installed. I even ran microsoft 'fix it' tool, which claims to get rid of all the older office stuff that we might not be aware of/could be running in the background, leftover registery entries and all that crap. No, still nothing. I was so disappointed by then. Now I have no working coppy of office on this system eitehr. So, I then did system restore back to the point just before I removed office starter. Computer rebooted and office 2010 seems to be back! Finally something good tonight, I thought. But I also thought it was too good to be true. And I was right. When I tried to launch it it camne up with licencing error and told me that it needs to close and if I continue to experience this problem to contact my computer vendor. I guess that is an option, but I doubt that they will help. So I'm now left with very limited and slow mail client, a coppy of the office 365 that I can not use to it's full potential, no office on the local machine and had not much sleep. So, if anyone can tell me if there is anything I can do to this damn computer rather than reformating to somehow improve my situation. I think right now I'll even put up with using windows mail if I can at least get this office starter to work! I mean not perfect solution but better than what I have now! If you've read this far I congratulate you and thank you very very much. If you think you can help me that would be definitely apreciated a lot. You can also if you wish contact me off list. Again sorry for such a huge message, but I really don't know who else to turn to or what else to do.