[access-uk] Re: Data Recovery from damaged hard drive

  • From: Jonathan <digitaltoast@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 19:26:41 +0000

I really feel for Jeff on his behalf - it's happened to us all, even
those who do double backups. And nothing is worse than hearing someone
say "you should have...".
I hope this isn't an inappropriate phrase for this list, but hindsight
is a wonderful thing.

Have you tried removing the drive from the external USB housing (DO
NOT try and disassemble the actual hard drive itself) and putting it
in a PC?

Best advice I could give in addition to all the advice above would be
buy a couple of 32Gb USB memory sticks for a grand total of £36, or
example: http://goo.gl/nyQp1 and put both in a couple of spare ports
at the back, leave them in permanently.

That gives you 64Gb backup with no moving parts. Still do full
complete drive images as before on the external drive, but set a
couple of different backup jobs to automatically run maybe as much as
daily, and choose the folder/subfolders where you do most work.

Just another level of protection.