[access-uk] Re: DLA Email

  • From: Catherine Turner <catherineturner2007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 15:17:13 +0100

Hello,

Several points.

1.  This is not a hoax.  You may not agree with the benefitsandwork
website's perspective on the green paper but the green paper does
propose taking the money that is currently given to people in the form
of attendance allowance and giving it to social services instead.  I
quote from the green paper below after my name.  And if this option is
adopted  I doubt DLA would be treated differently as it is a similar
benefit to AA and AA is just used as an example here.

2.  The benefitsandwork website is one I've used before to find
information about benefits.  It's a genuine website and I'm pretty
sure is not just set up to gather e-mail addresses, though of course
you may have disagreements with the organisation or its practices.

3.  There are consultation events being organised for the green paper.
 You can find out about them and other ways of taking part in the
consultation at
http://www.dh.gov.uk/en/Consultations/Liveconsultations/DH_102339

Catherine

Quoted from the green paper:

Attendance Allowance is the main disability benefit for older people.
It is available to anyone who has a care need that develops at or
after the age of 65. Attendance Allowance operates in parallel with
the social care system for those aged 65 and over. Attendance
Allowance is not a benefit paid to replace lost income: it is intended
for broadly the same purposes as social care – to contribute to the
extra disability-related costs of those individuals who need
assistance to live independently. Like social care, Attendance
Allowance is subject to increasing funding pressures. But Attendance
Allowance is not means-tested, so people get it regardless of how
well-off they are. Many disabled older people will receive support
from other parts of the benefits system, including through Disability
Living Allowance, instead of Attendance Allowance.
We know that disability benefits such as Attendance Allowance are
highly valued by the people who receive them, and that they give
people control over how they spend their money to meet their care and
support needs. However, we also recognise that there are
inconsistencies of approach between disability benefits and social
care within the current system. This is because the social care and
disability benefits systems have developed in isolation from each
other and these two largest portions of government care and support
expenditure are being allocated on different bases. This can lead to
inconsistent and unfair outcomes.
Having two different funding streams also means that older people have
to apply separately for the two sources of support and undergo
different needs assessment processes which may put people off applying
for support. This can result in some people not receiving all of the
support they are entitled to.
The 2006 report by the King’s Fund, Securing Good Care for Older
People, highlighted these and other problems in the system and made
the case for integrating the support provided through some disability
benefits and the social care system to improve the effectiveness of
state funding.
The review recommended that, if the social care system were able to
mostly meet the care needs of people who may currently only be
supported through the disability benefits system, there would be less
need for some of these benefits, and there might be a case for
integrating some disability benefits such as Attendance Allowance into
the care and support system.

Building on the strengths of the current system
However, we also know that for many people the flexibility currently
provided by disability benefits such as Attendance Allowance is not
delivered through the current care system. Developing more personal
budgets would be one way to better build on the advantages of the