[access-uk] Re: DAISY FORMAT AND MP3'S USED IN OVERDRIVE

  • From: "Long, Alison" <Alison.Long@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2015 16:08:38 +0000

Hi,

I just wanted to respond on this topic and set the record straight as it were.
We have no plans to phase out DAISY.
We still believe Daisy offers the very best navigation and continue to record
all our Talking Books in Daisy format. At the same time, we are content
producers and some customers (the minority) have told us that they want titles
which don't have Daisy formatting and which can play on simple cheap USB
players like the Sovereign and via digital download. So in response we have
introduced USB and digital download options (via RNIB Overdrive).

Overdrive is a mainstream library platform and does not support Daisy
formatting. Overdrive isn't for readers who want full Daisy functionality. RNIB
titles on Overdrive have a fixed skip point of every 3 minutes. Many customers
don't use this preferring to use bookmarking.

RNIB titles on USB are issued with Daisy formatting. Whether this is available
to the reader or not depends on their  player. The cheaper players cannot
access Daisy formatting on USB. The more expensive players with USB can.

I hope I've reassured you and clarified RNIB's position.

Regards
Alison

Alison Long
Reading Services Senior Manager, Learning & Braille
Solutions Team
RNIB (Royal National Institute of Blind People)
Bakewell Road
Orton Southgate
Peterborough
PE2 6XU
Tel: 01733 375178
Mobile: 07967 960129

Website: www.rnib.org.uk

Join us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/rnibuk
Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/rnib

Have you listened to RNIB's Insight Radio today? Join us on Freeview 730 or
online at www.insightradio.co.uk via the TuneIn or Radio Player apps.