[access-uk] Re: Cost of accessibility was Web site preferences

  • From: "Egan, Bim" <Bim.Egan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 15:50:04 -0000

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the undeserved welcome back. <Grin>, To misquote an oldie,, the
rumours of my departure were slightly exaggerated.   I didn't leave.

Excuse the slight change to the subject line, I'm trying to keep the poll
thread on topic as I'll be reporting the results to other people.

On the cost of accessibility services, are ours higher than any similar ones?
It's a business to business service, so the cost can't come out of the funds
raised as charitable donations.    In other words our team has to be
self-financing.  We have reduced our prices in the last few months though, by
about 18%.

The problem is that it's a very labour intensive operation.  Surf Right has
more than 160 tests that need to be run, most of them manually, to establish
the functional accessibility of a site.  Automated software can often spot real
errors, but it can't suggest solutions, as these are specific to each
individual piece of code.  Where automated tests fall down is in the use of
judgement.  Sites will pass WCAG 2.0 at level A for using headings, for
instance, even if the headings are used in all the wrong places and are
semantically nonsense. ... And yes, we do come across that, frequently.   It
takes days to establish what's wrong, and explain both why it's wrong and how
to put it right for every test failure, hence the cost.

Cheers,

Bim