[access-uk] Re: Corrupted Word files.

  • From: chairman@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2005 14:56:00 +0100

Greetings Carol,

Thanks, I had a message via the b.c.a.b. list from Rosemary Johnson, who
suggested the following, I think I may give this a go:

From: tactical@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Rosemary F. Johnson)
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 16:57:32 GMT

Hallo Colin,

I can't help with the corruption problem, but I think I can with
this bit:

 "The problem is that many of the entries extend beyond a single line.  All
  entries are separated by two hard returns which, as the file is over
thirty
  pages long, include soft page breaks.

  I suspect what I need to do is find a way of saving the text into an
ascii
  file, such that every entry is forced onto a single line, so that then I
  can perform the sort."

I understand this to mean that each entry is a paragraph, so you
entered the info continuously, and Word automatically wrapped it
round onto a second line?

If so, saving it out should be easier than you think.

Get the file up in Word, then do "Save As".  You'll get a window
where you can enter the file name, and somewhere on this window
is a field to select the file format.  This latter has the
down-arrow thing at the side to open up a pick list.

Somewhere on the pick list should be the four similar-sounding

Text Only
DOS Text
Text Only with line breaks
DOS Text with line breaks

I have yet to work out the difference between Text and Dos Text,
with or without the line breaks; maybe someone here can supply
that information.  However, if you select either of the "text
only" or "DOS Text" options, it will output a file with all the
text in a paragraph on one single line.  It will then be up to
whatever programme you pick it up it to wrap it round at the
ends of its lines if appropriate.

Hard returns at the end of paragraphs, and
"Hard-return-soft-page" characters will be in the text file as
carriage returns.  Hard page characters will be in the file as
page-breaks.  Soft returns and soft pages in the middle of
paragraphs will not appear in your text file.  Where they have
been "made" by Word out of the spaces between words, it will the
space that gets put in the text file.

In other words, you shouldn't need to do any find and replacing
at all; the conversion should do it automatically.

The "with line break" options are the ones that do what you were
worried about.  That is, they take Word's layout of your text
onto lines, and when making the text file, they will convert the
soft returns at the end of each line into a hard return, so when
you pick up the resulting text file in another WP/text editor
programme, it has the Word line length preserved.  However (as
far as I remember) it does not keep Word's soft page breaks, but
leaves it to the destination programme to do its own
pagination.  [This option can be useful if you are trying to pick
up in another programme a file that is large and/or has lots of
long paragraphs - I've found it can be quicker and more reliable
to get the destination programme to pick up, and if necessary
adjust the line lengths of, a file with roughly page-width lines
all ending with a hard return than one with huge paragraph-long
lines it has to word-wrap from scratch.  SO if a Word user want
to send me a file I'll want to pick up in Word Perfect, I always
ask for them to save it out as "Text only with line breaks".]

Hope this helps and good luck.

Rosemary

--
Rosemary F. Johnson