[access-uk] Re: Cooking

  • From: Vincent Thacker <vince@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 17:31:45 +0200 (CEST)

Norman, I bet your name was mud, or something similar!

Hopefully, modern pressure cookers are a bit safer than that.

Vince.

Message Received: Oct 26 2013, 02:51 PM
From: "Dr Norman Waddington"
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: Cooking

Hi Vince,   I can remember an occasion when I was cooking beatroot in a
pressure cooker.  It blew the valve and red steam all over the walls in the
kitchen.  Not popular at the time.  Smile!   Norman. ----- Original Message
----- From: Vincent Thacker To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Saturday, October
26, 2013 2:41 PM Subject: [access-uk] Re: Cooking
Rich, pressure cookers are wonderful. I especially like to cook vegetables in
them, and that takes about 5 minutes generally; mind you, I like my veg pretty
well al dente, and others might like to leave them longer. For mashed potatoes,
you'd leave them longer so you can actually mash them, like. As every cooking
appliance is different it's best if you do your own experiments and maybe keep
some notes about what worked best, as your timings might be a bit different
from the next person's.

No special recommendations about accessible hardware because they make such a
noise that you can't really go far wrong. Just don't de-pressurise them too
quickly or you can get a face-full of superheated steam.

The Prestige ones I've used are quite simple, just a large saucepan in effect
with a lid that seals with a rubber ring. On top is the valve that applies the
pressure and lets out the steam. I expect more sophisticated ones exist, but
that's the essence of the thing.

Supposedly the vegetables retain more of their vitamins and minerals when
pressure cooked, but I did notice when I first used one that I started getting
leg cramps, and started adding a little salt to the finished food. As salt is
Public Enemy No. 1 if you have high blood pressure, I wouldn't overdo it.

There is plenty of pressure cooker recipes on line, and I'd hesitate to
recommend any in particular. It all depends what sort of things you want to
cook.

If this is getting a bit off topic, there is a UK VI Cooks list, by the way.

UKVICooks-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Vince.

Message Received: Oct 21 2013, 11:25 AM
From: "Richard King"
To: "access-uk"
Subject: [access-uk] Cooking

Hi List,

Another query for the established cooks amongst you! Does anyone use a
pressure cooker? If so, a recommendation on any VI friendly hardware
will be greatly appreciated.

I listened in to The Food Programme a couple of weeks ago on Radio 4
and the topic was slow and pressure cookers. I have aslow cooker which
I love but I really didn't realise the benefits of cooking under
pressure! not only for speed but fuel efficiency, we all know gas is
not getting any cheaper so time limited on my hob sounds like a bonus!

Secondly, some VI friendly recipe websites/blog recommendations would
also be very welcomed.

Thank you. Enjoying the banter.

Best wishes
Rich