[access-uk] Connecting multiple USB devices

  • From: "adrian higginbotham" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 12:55:37 +0100

Not strictly an accessibility question but hope someone may be able to
help anyway:

I Have more USB devices than USB ports, pressumably I need an USB hub to
resolve this?

I would like to be able to use some devices from more than one machine -
although the machines are networked I would prefer not to always have to
switch on which ever a device happens to be connected to in order to be
able to use it.
Are there any hubs which can be connected to my router so that all
devices become independantly accessible via the network?

And finally - I have one printer which only has a parallel connection,
is there such thing as a parallel to usb or ethernet converter which
would allow me to put this printer on to the network either via the hub
as described above or directly via a free port on the router.

Cheers

Adrian Higginbotham
Accessibility and inclusion adviser
British Educational Communications and Technology Agency - BECTA
Tel: Direct dial 024 7679 7333 - Internal extension #2287
Email: Adrian.Higginbotham@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Web: http://www.becta.org.uk/
BECTA, Millburn Hill Road, Science Park, Coventry, CV4 7JJ