[access-uk] Computer not Powering Down Automatically

  • From: "Mark Matthews" <mark.matthews53@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Access UK " <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 18:25:15 +0100

Hi people.

Recently when turning off this XP Home machine, I'm having to press the
power button to get a complete Power down. This has only been the case since
the system came back locally from repair, but unfortunately I haven't yet
been able to contact the person concerned.

I've consulted the MS KB, and come across articles advising you to enable
the 'Advanced Power Management option in the APM Tab of 'Power options.
However this Tab sheet is not present. Whether this means that this kind of
thing is controlled via ACPI instead of APM and the Bios needs to be delved
into I don't know.

As I had a Bookcourier USB cable connected to one of the ports at the time
with the other end loose, I disconnected it thinking it somehow could be
preventing the Power Supply from being shut down. This didn't appear to be
the case. As I'm at a bit of a loss for the moment, anyone any thoughts?

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Matthews
Cardiff, Wales, UK