[access-uk] Re: Comments on basic Dell computers wanted

  • From: "Andrew Hodgson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 20:40:39 +0100

 Generally work with Dell systems every day, so can give some comments:

Yes, this system will be ok, but I would seriously consider looking at
more memory (256mb is laughable now), minimum 512mb for a starter system
probably.  There will be no floppy disk with this sytem, and the
peripherals will all be USB.  You can get a sound card from Dell, but I
use the integrated sound and graphics at work with no issues on the
models I have serviced.

The trick with Dell is that you start out with a system, and by the time
you have added bits to it, it is more advantageous to buy a higher spec
system which has the features you already selected included.

Andrew.