[access-uk] Re: Chip and pin revisited

  • From: "Derek Hornby" <derek.hornby_uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:26:09 -0000

Hi  Barry

>I have a chip and pin visa card that also has a signature.

All chip and PIN cards have to have the customer's signature on the card.

> I have used it both by putting a pin number in and by signing for the
goods.

But if you had a chip and signature card, you would not be able to use a
PIN,
  as you wouldn't have a PIN!

A chip  and signature card, is not same as the old signature only cards, as
 the old cards had no chips.

When a customer hands over to the retailer a chip and signature card, the
retailer will get a message on the machine on the lines: "refer to customer
for signature" I am not  sure of the exact wording for the message, but the
point is, a chip and PIN  is for Pin use, a chip and signature is for
signature use, so same card can't be for both types of use.

Regards,
Derek

e-mail: derek.hornby_uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx