[access-uk] Re: Charity for blind hits out at Bromley council

  • From: John G <jglists0@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 16:58:52 +0000

"a blind English-speaking tax-paying resident of the county"
i wonder how many of those we have in the country. (snork)
Still, i shouldn't worry. Racism is back in fashion and as a true Britain it is your patriotic duty to blame all your woes on the outsider. Never mind that as a disabled individual you yourself face prejudice almost on a daily basis.
It just goes to prove that blindness isn't just a physical condition.
John, human first, Englishman second.

At 16:33 11/01/2011, you wrote:
Make the council squirm. I did, and they HATE it!

A council who was funding a project benefiting LOTS of blind people in
my area decided that they could no longer fund the £800 per year.
Just £800.

So I asked the council how much it cost them annually to translate all
their benefit material into a variety of foreign languages.
They wriggled and squirmed and evaded. Eventually the figure of
£45,000 came out.
Subdividing that into number of non-English speaking people of that
group who may possibly ever use that leaflet, it came out at £200 per
potential user. For a leaflet.
The icing on the cake was that no-one had actually DEMANDED the
leaflets be translated.

The moral of the story is; if you're a blind English-speaking
tax-paying resident of the county, sorry nothing for you.
If you wish to turn up can't be ***ed to learn English and would like
some help claiming benefits, well, which direction would you like us
to bend over for you?

It makes me so angry, especially when idiots try and claim you're
being racist for even questioning such grotesque unfairness.

Not going to make political capital by naming the political hue of the
council at the time, I'm pretty sure you can guess that one!
Needless so say, local papers LOVE that sort of thing. Worth
submitting a FOI request just so:
A: They know you're onto them and
B: The satisfaction of watching them trying to explain it away in the
local media :)