[access-uk] Re: Charity for blind hits out at Bromley council

  • From: "Ankers, Dave (UK)" <Dave.Ankers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 16:46:08 -0000

Did they reverse the decision?

Cheers

Dave

Make the council squirm. I did, and they HATE it!

A council who was funding a project benefiting LOTS of blind people in my area
decided that they could no longer fund the £800 per year.
Just £800.

So I asked the council how much it cost them annually to translate all their
benefit material into a variety of foreign languages.
They wriggled and squirmed and evaded. Eventually the figure of £45,000 came
out.
Subdividing that into number of non-English speaking people of that group who
may possibly ever use that leaflet, it came out at £200 per potential user. For
a leaflet.
The icing on the cake was that no-one had actually DEMANDED the leaflets be
translated.

The moral of the story is; if you're a blind English-speaking tax-paying
resident of the county, sorry nothing for you.
If you wish to turn up can't be ***ed to learn English and would like some help
claiming benefits, well, which direction would you like us to bend over for you?

It makes me so angry, especially when idiots try and claim you're being racist
for even questioning such grotesque unfairness.

Not going to make political capital by naming the political hue of the council
at the time, I'm pretty sure you can guess that one!
Needless so say, local papers LOVE that sort of thing. Worth submitting a FOI
request just so:
A: They know you're onto them and
B: The satisfaction of watching them trying to explain it away in the local
media :)