[access-uk] CashManager

  • From: "Peter Beasley" <pjbeasley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 10:25:24 -0000

The item below might well be of interest to some people on this list.

Monday, 16 February 2009
CashManager
In what is believed to be a world first, a New Zealand software company,
Accomplish Ltd
, has created accounting software specially modified to enable efficient use by the
blind and visually impaired.
"We're told this is the first accounting software in the world that has stood up in user tests by blind people," said the company's general manager, Grant Hewson, at the launch of the 2009 edition of its CashManager software. "Obviously, this is attracting a lot of interest from organisations serving the blind and visually impaired, not only in New Zealand, but also in Australia, the United Kingdom and the USA. "It's really an example of Kiwi ingenuity helping to solve a global problem in terms of providing good access to the benefits of modern technology for blind people, as
well for the movement impaired."
The accessibility of the product is endorsed by Neil Jarvis, Executive Director, Access, Innovation and Enterprise for the Royal New Zealand Foundation of the Blind, who comments: "We welcome any move which improves accessibility and equality for
blind and partially sighted people,"
Jarvis adds: "In December last year, we undertook a software audit of CashManager 2009, examining a series of tasks by sighted and blind testers who don't usually use financial software. It worked well with adaptive technology software and, in terms of accessibility, we're happy to recommend the product to blind or partially
sighted people for managing their small business finances."
Jarvis explains that blind people use screen reading software which verbalises letters or numerals as they are typed, and verbalises the position of the cursor in pull-down menus or in dialogue or command boxes. Screenreaders and magnifiers are also used by people who are partially sighted, along with font, colour and contrast enhancements. The software's development has been assisted by blind entrepreneur Terry Bartlett, of Dunedin (pictured above), who stumbled on CashManager while searching the Web for accounting software he could use when he started his own business two years ago. "I was taking a big risk going out on my own, and it was pretty scary," recalls the Managing Director of Corner Enterprises Ltd. "I didn't know how I was going to be able to write quotes, or send out invoices, let alone handle money, reconcile bank
accounts, keep track of GST and taxes and so on."
Bartlett's business is based around teaching clients touch typing, designing Web pages, providing advice on IT and accessible technology, as well as assisting customers
with property management and even organising coal and firewood deliveries.
Over time Bartlett jotted down ideas on how Accomplish could make the software even better for the blind or visually impaired user. "They responded very positively,"
he says.
Hewson says Bartlett helped the company realise there was a new niche market for
its software.
"Our technical and programming people were only too pleased to make the improvements he was suggesting, many related to everyday use by someone who is blind or visually
impaired.
"Whilst driven by the needs of blind people, the changes suggested by Terry and the Royal New Zealand Foundation of the Blind have resulted in enhanced usability for all keyboard users. The changes indirectly benefit those with occupational overuse syndrome, limited mobility or simply a preference for using the keyboard," adds Hewson. Originally founded in Australia almost 20 years ago, Accomplish today is headquartered in Auckland and serves some 25,000 small to medium business enterprises with accounting software designed specifically for New Zealand, Australian and United Kingdom needs.
For additional information visit the link below.
http://www.netguide.co.nz/20090216895/sightless-accounting.php