[access-uk] Re: Capital Accessibility Cellphone at CSUN

  • From: "Steve Nutt" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 12:04:42 -0000

Hi Ray,

I personally still have concerns about screenless phones of any kind.  While
they have to be great for access for us, if you as a blind person need help
from a sighted colleague, it is quite hard for them to help you, without
either dipping into the manual of the phone, or knowing the phone
themselves.  Sighted people by default are very used to using mobiles with
screens, so when all of a sudden your Talks doesn't, you can ask a sighted
person across the room if there is one, what is going on.  This has always
been my main concern with the Auasys phone and potential phones like it.
Aside from the fact that the speech is inferior on the Auasys, there is no
Bluetooth, no infrared, no way of downloading ring tones, no way of
participating in society's general use of mobile phones, if you are blind.
This is why I have, and always will, believe that getting mainstream
equipment to talk is by far, the best solution for all.

All the best
Telephone Low-call:  08452 606 277
International:  +44(0)1438 742286,
Fax:  +44(0)1438 759589