[access-uk] Re: Can anyone sell the iPod touch to me?

  • From: "Ibrahim Gucukoglu" <ibrahim_gucukoglu@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 10:08:26 +0300

Hi Catherine.

You raise a very interesting and valid point here, and some of the apps I will be looking at in my pamphlet will be allied to commercial websites to illustrate this point. Some blind people sadly don't realise the full capability and potential of the IPhone as a replacement for the computer in all but a few circumstances, so my idea is to write this booklet to illustrate the point and perhaps the web browser in the IPhone is something I should touch on. I'd add that with the emergence of HTML 5.0 technology and Apple's Web Apps directory, we have a new avenue of potential to explore, so I might not confine my reviews to apps you can get from the app store, though I could easily pick 50 apps I have on my IPhone for this purpose. Could you give me an idea as to how much you'd be prepared to pay for a booklet like the one I'm proposing? Does £10 per copy sound reasonable? Do you think the market needs another title like this? I ask this of everyone on the list, so feel free to reply and say what's on your mind.

All the best, Ibrahim.

-----Original Message----- From: Catherine Turner
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2011 9:52 AM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: Can anyone sell the iPod touch to me?

Hi,

Ibrahim I don't know the pamphlet you mention but I personally would
be interested in such a thing.

I think it's also worth thinking about the Iphone/Ipod as an
accessible solution for difficult websites.  I don't have one myself
yet, but have used an Ipod quite a lot.  These days I find standard
websites are getting more and more difficult/tedious to use, with
constantly refreshing aspects and unhelpfully named frames to name but
two problems.  But on the I-devices you can either browse the mobile
versions or use apps released by organisations which can accomplish
what you could do on the web and sometimes more.  From my limited
experience apps on the I-devices are accessible much more often than
not, and so depending what you're interested in the world is your
oyster and it really gives us many more options for accessibility.

Catherine

On 8/11/11, Ibrahim Gucukoglu <ibrahim_gucukoglu@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Terry.

I think that question should read What cant you do with the IPhone?  There
are simply tonnes of uses for the device, depending on how savvy you are and how much you want to depend on it. Some people use the IPhone as purely an
entertainer while others use theirs for business related tasks.  Indeed,
I’ve been thinking of writing a short pamphlet similar to the one sold by
National Braille Press, though doubling the number of applications to 50 and with a business slant more geared toward the UK user. I’d just need to know
whether there’d be enough interest and whether people would be prepared to
pay for such a booklet given the time it’ll take me to put it together.

All the best, Ibrahim.