[access-uk] Re: Can any experienced NVDA users please advise

  • From: Michael A Ray <mike.ray@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 13:36:45 +0000

John,

To search for something in a web page use NVDA's own search, which you reach by pressing control+caps lock+F. Then enter the text and search. To search again for the same text press control+caps lock+F3.

Note for the above to work you need to have selected to use caps lock as an NVDA key as well as the keypad insert key.

I suggest you join the NVDA support list by sending a message to:

nvda-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

With 'subscribe' in the subject line. They're a friendly bunch and know a lot more about NVDA than I do.

I use Ebay in Firefox and NVDA works fine for me.

Mike

On 23/01/2014 06:34, John Wilson wrote:
Hello All,

I've just downloaded and started to  use NVDA with Windows
8.1 for the first time. The main problem I'm having is
getting much of waht is on webpages read out to me.

I have read the user guide through which is provided for
NVDA but it doesn't help me with the below problem. It only
seems to say that I should be able to both arrow and tab
through WebPages and read everything on screen, which I
certainly cannot do.

For example, I use Ebay regularly
and know what is (or should be) displayed on the screen and
can be easily read with the arrow keys with JAWS. However,
using NVDA, little or nothing can be read of the text on
screen and only the various elements, e.g. links,
editfields, etc, are ead
by pressing the TAB key.

Moreover, on Ebay, when I try to search for something, I am
told by NVDA where the editbox is to type in the search
string but when I do this and press ENTER nothing happens! I
get no list of found items that can be read by NVDA. The
same sort of thing happens on Google and other websites.

I have read the user guide through which is provided for
NVDA but it doesn't help me with the below problem. It only
seems to say that I should be able to both arrow and tab
through WebPages and read everything on screen, which I
certainly cannot do.

I have been a JAWS user for over 20 years and am well used
to computers and the internet. However, Having downloaded
the latest version of NVDA and tried to  use WebPages with
it, I find myself baffled! For example, I use Ebay regularly
and know what is displayed on the screen and can be easily
read with the arrow keys with JAWS. Using NVDA, little or
nothing can be read of the text on screen and only the
various elements, e.g. links, editfields, etc, can be read
by pressing the TAB key.

Moreover, on Ebay, when I try to search for something, I am
told by NVDA where the editbox is to type in the search
string but when I do this and press ENTER nothing happens! I
get no list of found items that can be read by NVDA.

Please explain how NVDA is supposed to work on WebPages so
that all of the above information can be read and the
webpage therefore understood in its entirety.

I should also be grateful if you could point me to any
spoken video or MP3 tutorials on how to use NVDA with the
keyboard (not with a mouse), in particular in respect of the
Internet. I have searched Google and Youtube but found
little or nothing  of any value. All I can find is people
having similar problems to me getting the text of WebPages
read out to them. Please listen to the below short Youtube
video demonstrating the very problems I am having.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZG3lwCzXb0

Hope you can help.

John Wilson.

Can anyone please explain how NVDA is supposed to work on
WebPages so that all of the above-mentioned information can
be read and the webpage therefore understood in its
entirety.

I should also be grateful if you could point me to any
spoken video or MP3 tutorials on how to use NVDA with the
keyboard (not with a mouse), in particular in respect of the
Internet. I have searched Google and Youtube but found
little or nothing  of any real value. All I can find is
people having similar problems to me getting the text of
WebPages read out to them. Please listen to the below short
Youtube video demonstrating the very problems I am having.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZG3lwCzXb0

Hope someone can help.

John Wilson.

Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer
Witley, Surrey, South-east UK

Ham Radio Call-sign: G4XBF, licensed since 1982

Don't just sit there, learn something

Raspberry VI:
http://www.raspberryvi.org/
NVDA, the best free screen-reader in the world:
http://www.nvda-project.org/