[access-uk] Re: COMMENT ON TOSH LAPTOP PLEASE

  • From: <roger.south@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 10:52:25 +0100

What exactly does locking down their PDF manual mean? Does it mean you can only access it on the Toshiba site? Copying it to say a doc or txt file to read in other players cannot be done? Or is it something else I'm missing?

Roger

-----Original Message----- From: John Gregory
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2012 10:23 AM
To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [access-uk] Re: COMMENT ON TOSH LAPTOP PLEASE

Hi Richard,

I have a Toshiba Portege R700 and, as with any or most laptops, the speakers
are not brilliant. I use USB headphones which work great with JAWS. As for
the FN key, I am afraid you are stuck with that if you want to use the
laptop keyboard. Myself I use a wireless full size keyboard which avoids the
laptop keyboard and such problems. Yes, it would appear that Toshiba are
particularly fond of locking down their manuals. I have contacted them
several times to ask if they can unlock the manual sufficiently enough to
allow assistive technology to access the text, but they seem blissfully
unaware that this needs to be done to allow vision impaired users and their
assistive technology to access pdf files. No matter how much I explained the
need for this my words fel  on stoney ground.

John.