[access-uk] Re: Buying new laptop help please

  • From: catherineturner2007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 23:48:35 +0000

Hi,

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.  Asking the RNIB volunteers to look
at it didn't occur to me, I'd forgotten they even existed.  And the
laptop's gone to a repair shop now so too late but I'll try and
remembr that next time something like this happens.

About the serial port, bluetooth and so on - the serial I'm wanting to
use for braille display.  The problem with using the braille display
with bluetooth is I've never been able to get this to work because the
bluetooth I had on my laptop didn't make itself controllable by
windows control panel; it came with its own software which I could
never figure out and the help manual wasn't helpful.  So if the laptop
has bluetooth with an icon in Windows control panel that would be ok
but I doubt you can tell this before you buy it.  Whenever I've used
my external keyboard with a ps2 to usb adapter it has played up so I'd
rather use it with ps2 if possible.  So that's why, ideally, I'd like
a serial port and a ps2 port.

I'm waiting to hear what the repair shop say anyway, but still
thinking maybe a shiny new laptop is called for...

Catherine