[access-uk] Buying JAWS from Sight and Sound

  • From: "ANDY COLLINS" <Andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2011 23:09:35 -0000

Hi all -

I'm revisiting this topic from a few months ago, when I was considering
upgrading my JAWS from version 9 standard to the latest standard version. At
the time, when I tried to add the upgrade to my shopping basket, I saw there
was already another product in the basket that every time I tried to delete it,
the upgrade got deleted too, thus giving me an empty basket. I've just had
another go, and this time when I added JAWS9  to 13 upgrade to my shopping
basket, found that already in there was something called White Large Lowercase
Keyboard priced at £330, the same price as the JAWS upgrade. This then showed
me as having a basket total of £660!

I think this is disgraceful practice, but not only that, it is very confusing
given the way the website is set up. For example, when I click on the remove
link for the keyboard, the value of my basket drops from £660 to £330, but the
actual item [this white keyboard thing] still shows up as a quantity of 1 in my
shopping basket. I'm reluctant to proceed with my purchase from this point, as
I really don't know what I'll be charged for in the end.

And oh yes, I tried accessing the sight using a demo version of JFW12 as well.

Many of us have our gripes with this company, and have voiced them on this
forum, but they seem to take little notice, even though members of it's staff
view this list.

It appears that the cost of an upgrade from 9 to 13 standard is £330, but I'm
not certain about that given what happens when I tried to add it to my basket.

It would be nice if S&S would actually take some notice of it's customers, we
can't all be wrong about it's service, and just because there is little
competition it doesn't mean we'll allow ourselves to be shabbily treated.

Andy