[access-uk] Re: Busses and Argos (was Accessible Internet Radio)

  • From: "Jackie Cairns" <cairnsplace@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:50:08 -0000

Hi Ray

Sadly, the Bush Internet radio is at this moment winging its way to Argos courtesy of Ian. It just kept doing the same as the Intempo: cutting out and skipping. I appreciate there may well be some sort of conflict, but the destructions didn't give any info on that, and I felt it was futile keeping something that just didn't do justice to the stations we were prepared to preset, even with some sighted assistance.

Basically, my conclusions are that these radios are completely and utterly inaccessible without someone to set it up for you and put the station in you want. Once you do that, you can hop between presets, and the Intempo certainly remembered the last station you were on when it was turned off and back on again. Having said that, you couldn't just have a wander on your own to see what's cooking, because you would end up in no man's land.

I haven't lost the will to persist with a commercial set as I desperately want to access the channels out there. But because you have a limited time in which to return goods to any shop, I don't want to risk being stuck with something that isn't working completely satisfactorily, whatever the conflict is.

I'll definitely keep you posted with what happens with this and TNAUK and their talking project. Watch this space! (smiles).

As regards Argos, I find our branch ok. You do have to watch goods that you can't return under their money-back guarantee though. I could easily order items online, but prefer to look on the Internet at what I want, then take a piece of paper with the details into the shop. I do this as a rule for two reasons. Firstly, it means I can take it back if the item is faulty or not suitable without having to mess about with the post and courier services etc. But secondly, and more crucial for me personally, it's an excuse to go out for a walk and get some fresh air. I always meet people I know, and it's good for me to keep going. Only today, Ian is taking it back because I'm just not at the races (grin).

Jackie
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>