[access-uk] Bus Info by Text Message

  • From: Christopher Maule-Oatway <c.maule@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 21:50:24 +0100

Hello,

In a recent thread on talking bus stops, somebody mentioned that many stops now have a unique code which can be used to get bus times sent to a mobile phone as a text message.

Well, the good news is that these codes are available on Traveline websites, and, what's more, the sites are accessible <smile>! Each region or area has its own website - for instance, the one I use, which is

www.travelineeastanglia.org.uk

covers Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk. There is a national Traveline website,

www.traveline.org.uk

which has links to the regional sites. Entering Traveline into your favourite search engine will give you the same results.

Once on the required homepage, look for the link "Text to your Mobile", or some such phrase. Clicking on this link will take you to the page where you can start searching for a bus stop.

On the East Anglia site there are three searches to go through: first choose the county, next the town and finally the road. Each search category appears in a separate listbox, and, having made a selection, you have to click on a Search button to get to the next category.

If a road has more than one bus stop, the stops are listed in alphabetical order of stop name/location. The location descriptions are helpful, especially on town centre streets with many bus stops - for example, "Op WH Smiths" or "OS Baker's Oven".

As you move up or down the list of stops, the unique code, which is called the SMS code, for the highlighted or selected stop is displayed outside the listbox. No doubt each screen reader has its own method of handling this situation.

On the web page is the five-digit phone number where you have to send the SMS code as a text message. A few moments later, you should receive a text message giving you the time, number and final destination of the next three buses expected at the stop. This is, of course, taken from the timetable, so you are not told if a bus is running late!

The SMS codes that I have come across are all 8-letter codes, some areas use numeric codes.

I have used this system whilst waiting at bus stops and have found it most helpful. When the bus arrives, I now know how late it is running <grin>! It is not an ideal solution to the inaccessibility of timetable information on bus stops, but is about half-way there, I think.

Cheers,

Christopher