[access-uk] Broken TTS in XP

  • From: "Dj Paddy" <mygroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 17:40:53 +0100

Folks,

Here's a new one.

I can't change the default TTS Engine under control panel/speech.

I can preview the voices but when I hit apply it comes up with, "RUNDLL
An exception occurred while trying to run
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL "C:\Program
Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Speech\sapi.cpl",Speech"
OK "

I downloaded and ran SAPI4's suite from,

http://www.o2a.com/SpeechDownload.htm

and it installed, "Microsoft Speech SDK 4.0 and engines
Microsoft Voice, Microsoft Dictation, and the Microsoft Speech SDKOK "

Convinced this would fix it.... It did not.

Furthermore when I launch the Speech Applet I get,

"Speech Properties
The requested task cannot be carried out because the necessary engine could not
be created.  Please select a
different engine and/or a different audio device.
OK "

I've SP3 on the machine but had these problems with SP2 as well.  I was
actually hoping there would be a Hot Fix in SP3 that would have fixed it.

Any suggestions?

Dj Paddy