[access-uk] Re: Brian Hartgen's blog post, why we are leaving the Mac

  • From: Edward Green <edward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 19:50:37 +0100

Hi Steve,

Thanks for posting this.

On a prosaic point and in case it’s of interest to listers, it is possible to
change the insertion point behaviour that Brian describes so that the Mac
behaves consistently with Windows. The default behaviour is (I agree) a very
annoying Voiceover feature.

Just go into Voiceover utilities, select verbosity from the table, click the
text tab, and in the ‘when moving the cursor’ option, choose ‘speak text to the
right of the cursor’.

Cheers,

Ed

On 30 Jun 2015, at 16:53, Steve Nutt <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all,

I just had to share this, because it struck a cord with me. There are many
Mac people who defend it to the hilt, but like Brian, I don't think the
screen reader is mature enough. Added to that, the problems Brian had with
audio, which I haven't tried yet, it makes for an interesting debate to me.

The link is here:-

http://www.hartgen-home.org/node/47 <http://www.hartgen-home.org/node/47>

It is quite long, but I found it an interesting read.

I personally like the Mac for "playing with", but I can't take VO seriously
as a screen reader, not configurable enough. In Brian's blog post for
example, when you get a tweet with Night Owl, it says One Row Added. I can
confirm this annoyance and there seems no easy way of turning that off.
That's just one example of a few frustrations I have with VO.

Discuss if you wish!

All the best

Steve

--