[access-uk] Brian Hartgen's blog post, why we are leaving the Mac

  • From: "Steve Nutt" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'BCAB Discussion List'" <bcab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 16:53:20 +0100

Hi all,

I just had to share this, because it struck a cord with me. There are many
Mac people who defend it to the hilt, but like Brian, I don't think the
screen reader is mature enough. Added to that, the problems Brian had with
audio, which I haven't tried yet, it makes for an interesting debate to me.

The link is here:-

http://www.hartgen-home.org/node/47

It is quite long, but I found it an interesting read.

I personally like the Mac for "playing with", but I can't take VO seriously
as a screen reader, not configurable enough. In Brian's blog post for
example, when you get a tweet with Night Owl, it says One Row Added. I can
confirm this annoyance and there seems no easy way of turning that off.
That's just one example of a few frustrations I have with VO.

Discuss if you wish!

All the best

Steve

--