[access-uk] Braille within Twitterific

  • From: John Ramm <john@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 08:32:32 +0100

Hi All

If no one can help me here I understand as this is a rather specific problem, but I'd thought I'd give it a go.

I have an IPhone 5S and I use an app called Twitterific for my Twitter activity. I like to use a Humanware Brailliant BI 40 because it's a keyboard as well as a braille display. The app seems very accessible, but I have two specific problems when composing tweets:

1) If I want to use a hash tag I'm not sure what I should do. The hash sign is also the number sign(dots 3-4-5-6), and this creates a problem. If I write a hash tag beginning with the letters A to J, I get something that starts with a number. If I write a hash tag beginning with a letter K to Z all is well and the hash tag appears as expected. One work around is to write the hash sign and a dot six for a capital letter. If I do this all is well, but is that really what I have to do?

2) I don't seem to be able to input an @ sign. In order to mention someone in a Tweet you must use an @ sign followed by their twitter name; so to mention me you would type the @ sign followed by rammland - @rammland. the weird thing is that I never see the @ sign on the braille display because another quirk of this situation is that when someone else is mentioned in a Tweet I hear the mention in the speech, but only the word at not the sign appears on the display without the name of the person being mentioned.

I know this is rather obscure, but if anyone can shed the equivalent of light for a blind person on this situation I'd be very grateful.

Talk soon, John

BlackBerry has been undergoing a few changes of late, announcing the closure of its hardware division last month and releasing two new Android phones this year that were basically rebranded Alcatel handsets.

But it seems the former smartphone giant has another Android device to come in the near future, if leaked benchmarking results are anything to go by.

The phone in question is thought to be codenamed Mercury, and is already expected to come with a physical keyboard and run Android 7.0 Nougat.
Now Geekbench results have revealed the phone could also include a Qualcomm octa-core chipset (which could very well be the Snapdragon 625 SoC) running at 2GHz and 3GB of RAM.

The only other piece of information revealed by the leak is a model number, BBB100-1, which doesn't tell us too much else about BlackBerry's plans.

blackberry dtek50 17The DTEK50 was basically a rebranded Alcatel Idol 4

Rumours suggest Mercury could launch as early as Q1 2017, with a 4.5-inch Full HD display, 32GB internal storage, 18-megapixel and 8-megapixel cameras and a 3,400mAh battery.

The closure of BlackBerry's hardware division will allow the company to focus more on its software offerings, with future BlackBerry-branded handsets set to be manufactured by the company's partners.

Just what Mercury will look like when it arrives remains a mystery, but stay tuned for more in the near future.

Taken from:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/looks-like-blackberry-has-one-last-android-phone-up-its-sleeve
** To leave the list, click on the immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe]
** If this link doesn't work then send a message to:
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
** and in the Subject line type
** unsubscribe
** For other list commands such as vacation mode, click on the
** immediately-following link:-
** [mailto:access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=faq]
** or send a message, to
** access-uk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq